Cam/head questions

I am wanting to change heads and cam in my Sierra with an LQ9.

Looking at LS2 243 heads. Cam is open. I want mild because I have to emissions test but I want better then the stock cam. I was looking at the LPE GT2-3 with LS9 springs. LPE has them in a package deal. It is a daily drover and I do tow so I am not trying to go crazy.

1. Will this be a decent combo with the TBSS intake?

2. What all would be affected by choosing a 1.8 rocker arm over the 1.7? Any decent gains?

3. With the GT2-3 would I need a specific length pushrod with Yella Terra 1.7's or 1.8's and stock or LS2 lifters(dont know if there is a difference)?

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Don't go with a 1.8 rocker. Most of the cams are ground per a stock ratio and not recommended for a 1.8.

Heads will bump up the compression but flow about the same as the 317's. Give Brian Tooley a call and see if he has a recommendation on a cam. He sells a kit with the cam, dual springs, and push rods for $700 and the cam is speced to your request. He has the best prices and customer service I have delt with.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Lots of questions...lol. the gt2-3 cam isnt a bad cam since you are worried about emissions and have stock manifolds. Heads will flow a little better than the 317 and bump in CR would help. 7.4 PR would be fine for that swap. Keep stock rockers with comp trunion upgrade. I wouldnt bother with the tbss manifold as your stock manifold would suffice with your mods.

Lots of questions...lol. the gt2-3 cam isnt a bad cam since you are worried about emissions and have stock manifolds. Heads will flow a little better than the 317 and bump in CR would help. 7.4 PR would be fine for that swap. Keep stock rockers with comp trunion upgrade. I wouldnt bother with the tbss manifold as your stock manifold would suffice with your mods.

Problem with that is manifold is already purchased as is everything else for the swap. I don't know what 7.4 PR is, and as for the Comp trunion upgrade, I don't have a press.

I believe there is a comp low lift cam that will pass emissions and have some good low end for pulling on performance trucks.net right now for sale. Couple that with a 2800 or so stall and have some fun towing and rolling around. If you do put a converter in make sure to upgrade to a tru-cool 40k trans cooler since you tow with it. You can also use some LS6 beehive springs with that cam.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

I believe there is a comp low lift cam that will pass emissions and have some good low end for pulling on performance trucks.net right now for sale. Couple that with a 2800 or so stall and have some fun towing and rolling around. If you do put a converter in make sure to upgrade to a tru-cool 40k trans cooler since you tow with it. You can also use some LS6 beehive springs with that cam. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Here is a history of what is done to the truck so you guys can see

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/152094-2004-sierra-1500-performancetow-build/

I don't think a trucool 40k is necessary for me. Here is my cooler

IMG_20130527_185018_402_zps87143b50.jpg