Bad idle

cleansss20

To each their own, I've had both, and prefer the Taylors. The Taylors have a short plug boot that helps keep the wire off the header primary. The long bendable boots on the MSD are part of the issue why they contact the header primary.

I had the MSDs originally, and the bendable boots always seemed to flex back straight. The Taylors have been on my truck for over 5 years, and have been on and off several times without any issues.....

yes, the OBX headers don't like the straight boot MSD wires so i made my own fix. 115* extreme high temp boots (i don't think they're needed, but i like to over engineer), bulk MSD wire and LS MSD boots and voila!!! no need for heat sleeves either. nice easy fix. i had the straight boot MSD wires, double thicked with fiberglass protective sleeves and it still cooked through both. having no contact at all is whats needed. if anyone is interested i can probably throw some together for them for pretty cheap, it's only the back two wires that need replacing on the drivers side.

post-16421-0-12969300-1377053725_thumb.jpg

post-16421-0-24998600-1377053754_thumb.jpg

post-16421-0-10957200-1377053767_thumb.jpg

Well I changed the spark plugs and put a set of wires from Oriellys until I can order me some wires. It fixed the miss and the truck ran fine. On the way home last night I got on it passing somebody and the truck popped and started running like crap again. Im starting to wonder if it's my tune fouling plugs or something. He did say it was a little fatter on fuel but he was ok with that whenever he tuned it. Im tired of messing with it. It sucks changing the spark plugs out with this procharger in the way. Any ideas on what could be causing this? When I run 40 the truck surges and misses really bad, but I hardly notice it at 60

Taylor 409's, no heat sleeves needed!

I like mine never had any issues and have been on since 2010. Have taken them off a few times as well and they have held up pretty well.

Well I changed the spark plugs and put a set of wires from Oriellys until I can order me some wires. It fixed the miss and the truck ran fine. On the way home last night I got on it passing somebody and the truck popped and started running like crap again. Im starting to wonder if it's my tune fouling plugs or something. He did say it was a little fatter on fuel but he was ok with that whenever he tuned it. Im tired of messing with it. It sucks changing the spark plugs out with this procharger in the way. Any ideas on what could be causing this? When I run 40 the truck surges and misses really bad, but I hardly notice it at 60

Plugs, they're probably fouled if you're running slightly rich. I had this problem about a month ago, same symptoms.

Plugs, they're probably fouled if you're running slightly rich. I had this problem about a month ago, same symptoms.

I'm really hoping that what it is. I just find it weird that it ran fine after I changed the plugs and wires for over 30miles then when I got on it, it started missing. I almost wrecked pulling into my garage. I was trying to inch forward and let off the brake and since it was surging so bad it was hard to barely move. It wanted to jump ahead. I guess I could change spark plugs and take it to a different tuner.

It's really surgey in the low load revs right? Say 60km/h... That's where it was the worst for me, when it would shift into 4th at really low revs. You may as well swap them out. It's cheap and even if there's a little extra work, the peace of mind is worth it.

Ok so a little update. I started the truck up the other morning and it was still surging bad, so I took off the MAF sensor and cleaned it good with some MAF cleaner and I used a Q-tip lightly to clean it. When I turned the key it ran fine. It's still running rich because of the tune, but I've got a new tuner lined out and we talked for a good bit about the tune. When my last tuner tuned my truck he didn't use a wideband so I'm guessing he just estimated. I have a set of OBX LT headers on order and a tune in the near future. Luckily this isn't my Daily Driver so i'll be fine.

Because months later when you have to pull the Taylors off the spark plugs, the boots stick to the porcelain so bad that you end-up destroying the wire in the act. Since Taylor's products came out in the early 90's I've NEVER been able to save all eight wires when changing plugs, they just fall apart in your hands; however they do carry spark well and resist heat very well... I just don't expect to be able to reuse them.

MSD + sleeving FTW.

Mr. P.