Newbie with questions

I am putting a 2003 SS Silverado 6.0 in my 59 GMC. Looking for some performance suggestions while the engine is easily worked on. not really wanting to get crazy, maybe a cam swap (want a good lope sound) a stall converter. I also have an LS1 intake if that would be better. would the LS1 intake give me more or take power away, or make no difference? my immediate thoughts is a cam swap and a shot of nitrous and call it a day. I want it to be a reliable driver not a trailer queen so Im building it to drive the wheels off of it!! Sure excited to hear some of you guys suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

post-25695-0-55008000-1380696469_thumb.jpg

post-25695-0-82063900-1380696498_thumb.jpg

That looks like a sweet project! I have done the same type of swap a number of times. The most notable is my 57' Bel Air that I put a LQ9 6.0L. Here are some suggestions I have that I did on my motor swap. I used a LS2 intake, and upgraded throttle body size to the LS2/LS3 style 90mm (you need a X-link conversion harness to run this), and long tube headers for a start. I used the LS2 intake purely for looks under the hood at car shows and stuff. The front accessory brackets will need some modification to run the car style intake as well. A cam swap will also improve power further, there are tons and tons of posts about cam swaps here just do some searching, as well as magazine articles that outline gains from different cams I think Hot rod has a good article you may look for. Good luck with your swap and welcome to the site!

DSC_0973Medium-1.jpg

if I go for just looks I would like to go with this set up from Mast Motorsports, then put an old air cleaner on it. Will match the truck much better than the ls1 or the truck intake. Not sure if it would hinder performance and not sure what else I would have to change.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/product-view.php?cat=Old%20Skool%20Intake%20System&id=487

Dirty dingo sells a bracket for front acc to reroute the belt under the water pump to run any intake you want while keeping the truck alt and power steering pump. also prw makes a nice high flow water pump to help cooling both will run just over 500 bucks

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

So the problem I am gonna run into is limited space for mufflers. Any suggestion on a small muffler that sounds good with these engines. Want to hear it but still be able to talk inside the truck and not get annoyed on long trips. Deep sound medium db level.