CAM PROBLEMS need some input please

im doing a cam swap on the ss everything went well with the valvetrain and ready to take out and spin the cam before removal the lifters will go up in to the lifter cups and stay there on there own right? but they are not and now im assuming the heads have to be removed is there any other way to keep these lifters from staying up so I can slide out the cam? .... or do I have to just pull the heads

First thing first. You don't have the pushrods in it do you?

Now if you don't and the lifters aren't staying in the trays you can use 2 dowel rods ( I made a set of 5/16" aluminum rods) that go in the front of the block through the holes under the cam retainer plate.

Make sure you try to give the cam a quick flip to keep them up in the trays long enough to gently insert the rod through. If I remember correctly the rods were 24" but don't hold me to it. Also lube the rods with some oil and grind the end to insert into the bore at a bevel.

Also if the lifters won't stay in the trays at all, get a good pencil tip magnet and start at the front of the engine and pull the lifter up with it and insert the rod while the lifter is lifted.

post-17939-0-00478300-1382065571_thumb.jpg

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

the rods are still in and okay but what do mean take a magnet pull the lifter up with it and insert the rod while the lifter is lifted? theres cups on top of the lifters so you cant get them with a magnet I don't think...

Edited by Badbowtie247 (see edit history)

First thing first. You don't have the pushrods in it do you?

Now if you don't and the lifters aren't staying in the trays you can use 2 dowel rods ( I made a set of 5/16" aluminum rods) that go in the front of the block through the holes under the cam retainer plate.

Make sure you try to give the cam a quick flip to keep them up in the trays long enough to gently insert the rod through. If I remember correctly the rods were 24" but don't hold me to it. Also lube the rods with some oil and grind the end to insert into the bore at a bevel.

Also if the lifters won't stay in the trays at all, get a good pencil tip magnet and start at the front of the engine and pull the lifter up with it and insert the rod while the lifter is lifted.

what he said. Take rockers off and pull pushrods out. Use a magnet to pull up one lifter at a time as you insert rods. When going back together, be sure and use a little RTV on the bottom of the timing cover where it sits on the oil pan, and I'd recommend changing timing cover crank seal too. Cheap peace of mind, sucks pulling that balancer off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The pushrod makes contact with the lifter doesn't it?, remove you pushrod stick the magnet down the pushrod hole, pull the lifter up into the cup and slide the rod in die this 15 more times.the rod is insurance in case the cup does not hold your lifter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

the rods are still in and okay but what do mean take a magnet pull the lifter up with it and insert the rod while the lifter is lifted? theres cups on top of the lifters so you cant get them with a magnet I don't think...

You have to remove the pushrods before you remove the cam.

This is the reason why the lifters won't stay in the trays more than likely.

So try this now.

-Remove Rockers

-Remove pushrods

-If the front cover and timing chain are already removed take a water pump bolt or two and screw it into the cam bolt holes. If you haven't made it this far remove everything to get to the cam.

-Give the cam a few quick turns and insert the rods into the front of the block like I mentioned above.

-If the lifters still won't stay in the trays while trying to insert the rods do as I mentioned above. Just put the magnet down the hole through the head where the pushrod goes and pull up the lifter while the rod gets moved under it.

-Don't remove the rods till the new cam has been carefully installed and let the rod out slowly so you don't chip a lobe or lifter roller.

Dont even mess with the dowel rods.

Get 16 pen magnets, take a coat hanger and bend it straight and cut it into 4 inch sections approx. Bend 90 degree and tape to the pen magent kind of in the middle or between middle and top. Also try and tape the extending part of the pen so you try to keep it one length and not expand as you take them out. They can be touchy when you are taking them out so be patient. So when you spin the cam one at a time and when each lob comes up to the top this is where you want that coat hanger to be able to hold up the pen magnet.

I have done one cam swap the russian roulet way and probably wont do it again. Used pen magnets everytime after that and havnt had an issue. You will know when its holding one or not.

For example, this was the last one. Note I was doing a lot of other things during this too

DSC02985.jpg

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

Dont even mess with the dowel rods.

Get 16 pen magnets, take a coat hanger and bend it straight and cut it into 4 inch sections approx. Bend 90 degree and tape to the pen magent kind of in the middle or between middle and top. Also try and tape the extending part of the pen so you try to keep it one length and not expand as you take them out. They can be touchy when you are taking them out so be patient. So when you spin the cam one at a time and when each lob comes up to the top this is where you want that coat hanger to be able to hold up the pen magnet.

I have done one cam swap the russian roulet way and probably wont do it again. Used pen magnets everytime after that and havnt had an issue. You will know when its holding one or not.

For example, this was the last one. Note I was doing a lot of other things during this too

DSC02985.jpg

Don't be pimpin out my tools... LMAO

The pen magnets are the best way hands down... the dowel rods don't work. A lifter can wedge itself and lock the dowel rod in place.

When removing the pen magnets don't pull on them... wiggle them back a forth with very light pressure lifting them up.