belt sqeal

evandostert

I have been fighting belt squealing with my truck for years now. I finally want to fix it permanently. 03 silverado SS has made a small amount of noise for years. I replaced the tesioner and belts cleaned all surfaces with degreaser. Whats next? sick of the hearing it.
need a little noise. I am thinking pulleys need to be roughened up a little. Any ideas?

n116.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You may have a pulley out of alignment, check them with a straight edge. I experienced that on a newer Yukon that I diagnosed at work, the belt would only squeal once the engine was up to operating temperature. Turned out that the power steering pulley wasn't pressed onto the shaft far enough. Installed the pulley properly, and the squeal went away!

On my truck, I had a pulley go out. The bearings on the inside were shot. Every time it started my truck it would squeal and annoy the heck out of me. Start your truck and spray some WD-40 on all the pulleys and see if it stops. Just to make sure it's not the belt.