Lowering by loosening Torsions adding coil overs

Ktownsitdown

Has anyone tried to lower truck by loosening torsion bars and adding coil overs? I have a '04 z71 that I'm am using to build a clone SS. It has AWD capabilities I just need to get a better stance and I want to at least keep stock handling characteristics if not improve. Space is of a premium with the axle shaft being present but it looks like there may be enough room. I am also adding Vette calipers and wildwood rotors at same time and am very excited to get started so any advice would be appreciated.

if you had coil-overs, you would not need the torsions at all anymore. you would simply remove them.

and yes it has been done a few times, ive only personally done one set on an SS truck. it rode pretty good. btw, is the truck 4WD? im guessing it is, but the AWD capable thing threw me off a tad, and Z71 pkg was actually available for 2wd trucks crazy as that sounds. really what it comes down to is-

1. how low are you looking to go?

2. how much are you able to spend?

i can help you a lot better with this once i know those things :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is four wheel drive but has auto 4wd button which allows driving with transfer engaged and front dif will kick in if rear wheel spin is detected. I'm not sure if it is mechanical or computer controlled. As far as how low I want to go: I would like to get three to five inch drop from a stock two wheel drive height but only if I can maintain good handeling characteristics. This is going to be my main dd and I drive aggressively. If I can get better handeling I would prefer it. A g machine type cornering would be (.) (.). Price wise as cheap as possible but I will spend what has to be to obtain my objective. I just don't want to give up drivability to get the stance I want to achieve the stance as part of my performance goal. As posted before I want to do the Vette caliper wilwood rotor mod at the same time. I have the eguipment and ability to weld mounting tabs for coil overs but I don't have suspension engineering ability so any help with shock length spring rate and actual feedback from someone who has done this mod would be greatly appreciated.

ive done a few high 10s low 11 trucks and honestly 3 inch djm a arms in front with qa1 double adjustable shocks and set the rebound stiff in front will keep the front end from lifting at the track and keeps it planted. YOu can get rid of the torsion bars if you want but honestly best bang for the buck has been the 3 inch lowers i sell with the qa1s but the shocks are little expensive lol

oh and that being said the 3 inch lower a arms with belltech sp shocks rides great in front

Edited by NORCAL SS (see edit history)