Stock parts the best parts

Ktownsitdown

Hey guys-

I'm a huge fan of stock parts even as higher performance needs. GM has always made it easy to upgrade with good ole tried and true stock pieces. Just as with the gen I small block the LS engine can benefit greatly with out aftermarket parts and their downfalls. I see a lot of people on this site wanting more stall. That can be achieved using converters from larger or stock FI engines. And as posted a lot stock heads can give the result your looking for at a lot better price. Cams, lifters, valves - same thing. Before you go out and spend jack on aftermarket pieces do your homework and you may be able to achieve the same or better results with GM parts. The r and d and testing put in these parts is worth the time.

The testing done with aftermarket parts also benefits alot more than what GM offers. GM parts and the power you want to make you save money by buying aftermarket. Any aftermarket cam is $400 custom grind or not. Gm cam can be more and not have the benefit or HP levels that a aftermarket cam will or any part for that matter. If GM was the way to go everyone would be doing putting all the aftermarket guys out of business.

this is a highly controversial subject, lots of GM parts are interchangeable and used by many. yes people are aware of that and there benefits but GM does not offer things that REPUTABLE aftermarket companies offer. as said above everyone who has ever gone fast in there cars/trucks have done it through aftermarket companies because there proven. big names like FAST, COMP, Procharger, Magnacharger which GM uses there blowers (eaton) on all of there F.I cars, have all done there homework and research and specialize in performance parts.

I will say this....i am very impressed by the quality of stock parts on GM, but then the parts I am impressed with are not made by GM lol. AC Delco and Delphi make stuff that seems to last a life time...its funny that my OE brake pads actually outlasted the calipers, I only changed them because they had uneven wear lol...but when it comes to performance, aftermarket really has the edge.

Hey guys-

I'm a huge fan of stock parts even as higher performance needs. GM has always made it easy to upgrade with good ole tried and true stock pieces. Just as with the gen I small block the LS engine can benefit greatly with out aftermarket parts and their downfalls. I see a lot of people on this site wanting more stall. That can be achieved using converters from larger or stock FI engines. And as posted a lot stock heads can give the result your looking for at a lot better price. Cams, lifters, valves - same thing. Before you go out and spend jack on aftermarket pieces do your homework and you may be able to achieve the same or better results with GM parts. The r and d and testing put in these parts is worth the time.

Your example of a higher stall converter is wrong.

Converters change behavior from weight, torque, tire size, and many many other things.

So your example basically suggests that someone buy a converter from another application and guess if it will work or not. The chances of the converter working is slim to none... and I think I just saw slim leaving town. :jester:

Converters change behavior from weight, torque, tire size, and many many other things.

So your example basically suggests that someone buy a converter from another application and guess if it will work or not. The chances of the converter working is slim to none... and I think I just saw slim leaving town.

My information is not wrong - incomplete I would agree with but wrong is incorrect. Like anything else knowledge of the part you're installing is a must. I agree In the statement you made about weight, torque and all the other factors making a difference on how a TC performs. I wasn't developing a how to or singling out one part in particular. I was just offering my opinion on the quality of some of the stock parts for our motors. And yes I'm planning a build right now that will have as many stock parts as possible. I may give up a few ponies but the piece of mind I gain will be worth it - not building a dedicated race truck I'm building a DD that I plan on having for many moons. In my studies I have found quiet a few things that will help. For example ls-9 rods are forged titanium and '06 + ls rods have bushed small ends. Again you can't blindly bolt things together and expect anything. But with good research you can build a good sturdy hotrod and spend less doing so by not ignoring stock parts as an option.

If you plan on making good HP those stock rods wont last, which is why they have aftermarket built stronger rods to handle the rotational mass without coming apart. Same goes for pistons. If you skimp out on parts your motor will show you why you should have went with a better choice. I have seen several people try and stay with GM internals and ended up having to start with a new block, rods, piston etc as everything looked like a grenade went off.

If you plan to make big numbers be prepared for the failures of trying to save money.

So your example basically suggests that someone buy a converter from another application and guess if it will work or not. The chances of the converter working is slim to none... and I think I just saw slim leaving town.

My information is not wrong - incomplete I would agree with but wrong is incorrect. Like anything else knowledge of the part you're installing is a must. I agree In the statement you made about weight, torque and all the other factors making a difference on how a TC performs. I wasn't developing a how to or singling out one part in particular. I was just offering my opinion on the quality of some of the stock parts for our motors. And yes I'm planning a build right now that will have as many stock parts as possible. I may give up a few ponies but the piece of mind I gain will be worth it - not building a dedicated race truck I'm building a DD that I plan on having for many moons. In my studies I have found quiet a few things that will help. For example ls-9 rods are forged titanium and '06 + ls rods have bushed small ends. Again you can't blindly bolt things together and expect anything. But with good research you can build a good sturdy hotrod and spend less doing so by not ignoring stock parts as an option.

Im just talking about your example. If you want to make a point please use something of factual value.

Can you tell me where you can find the stator rate and the fluid dynamics for any given factory stall converter.......yeah didn't think so.