speedo

hank

i was driving lastnight around 75mph and punched it, was racing an old honda. this guy must have sprayed on me. we took off and stayed side by side. i looked at the tach and it was around 5000 rpm. we were easily above 120, funny thing was, the speedo only said 89. :dunno: as i slowed down to about 2300 rpm, usually about 70 mph, the speedo said i was going 28 mph. :eek: so i watched all my gauges and continued to drive home. all the trucks performance was normal but the speedo was wrong. it didn't get stuck in one place, it was steel moving just telling me a slower speed. when i finally slowed down to around 25 mph it dropped to 0 mph. i made a complete stop and took off again, now the speedo is working fine. i took it back upto 105 to test. all good.

any ideas? :dunno:

I don't know how plausible this is... but...

Is there a peg on the speedo to stop you from "burying" the needle? I don't recall right now.

The needles are someone lightly pushed onto a small metal pin. The pin is what rotates and drives the needle across the face of the gauge.

I wonder if the needle slipped on that pin when/if the speedo was buried, throwing off the speed.

When you went down to 0, it reset it to the "correct" location on the pin.

I don't know how plausible this is... but...

Is there a peg on the speedo to stop you from "burying" the needle?  I don't recall right now.

The needles are someone lightly pushed onto a small metal pin.  The pin is what rotates and drives the needle across the face of the gauge.

I wonder if the needle slipped on that pin when/if the speedo was buried, throwing off the speed.

When you went down to 0, it reset it to the "correct" location on the pin.

Very good in theroy :thumbs: A++ :jester:

But from reading his first post he didn't even get to 120.

everything is working fine since i came to a complete stop. i had to be doing at least 120... started at about 75 and floored it for about 10 seconds or so. i was going way over 89. like i said, all the power was there, just not the speedo. :dunno:

i talked to the dealer earlier, he said if it happens again to bring it in to see what he can do. he also knows about my pcm swaps and ALL other mods. since the speedo is electronically controlled. :thumbs:

I hear ya on that one :P

Hank, can you reproduce the same thing?  You could hook up a live scan tool and check what the VSS is saying.  Might help figure out if its mechanical or electrical.

i tried doing it again. pegged it for about three seconds and let off. everything is working fine so far. i just can't figure out why it happened the first time. :dunno:

ok so i bough some white face overlay and i installed it tonight. i took off the needles and reinstalled em, setting them to the correct position when the key is in the on position. however when i start the car everything go haywire!!!! i had it all calibrated correctly but when i started the truck for the first time it was ok. i turned it off completely and turned it back on, now i am at 9 volts on the voltameter and like -1/4 tank of gas. WTF! how do i fix this!!!!!!!!! i cant drive it like that.

Archived