The Calm Before the Storm - '04 SSS build

rcapone

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I like to make those runs a few times a week lol.

haha, I bet! With the setup you have, I'm sure it's much faster than mine.

On a different note, emailed my log files to Zippy yesterday afternoon and woke up this morning with a new tune in my inbox! Thanks Mike for Zippy customer service!! I'll get it uploaded a little later and see how it feels.

Uploaded the new tune and just got back from a short test drive...MUCH better city driving, it shifts real nice. Got on the highway and it seemed to do really good as well although I couldn't really open her up where I was due to the heat factor. Third gear shift is very nice, I love it!

Uploaded the new tune and just got back from a short test drive...MUCH better city driving, it shifts real nice. Got on the highway and it seemed to do really good as well although I couldn't really open her up where I was due to the heat factor. Third gear shift is very nice, I love it!

Good to hear that you guys are getting it sorted out.

tuning is key. it is more key than most people think.

Good to hear that you guys are getting it sorted out.

Yes, I see that now and am very glad it was only a tuning issue as I really don't have the time or desire to pull that trans. again!

Can't wait for a video with the 2300! Nice man.

Thanks! ...You and me both bro! It really sucked spending around 6.7k on the trans swap to make her slower than before!

This is why the misconception with modding is just reading what parts to bolt on, send PCM out for "reflash", then go. Not the case

Glad you are learning Randy. Keep it up bud

Yeah, learning to open my wallet wider and wider! :jester: Thanks...in all seriousness though, I have learned quite a lot with this 80 swap. When I first decided to mod out this truck, I hadn't even considered doing any of the work myself since I have little to no experience. BUT, thanks to you guys who suggested doing the work myself, I was able to spend more money on better parts to stay within my budget. Plus, since I did do the work myself and my Brother (who's a Master Tech. for Chevy) checked everything I did, I know it's done right - and one of my biggest fears was hiring a tech./speed shop to do all the work, then cut corners that I would never know about until something failed. AND could never have done this without this site and the great suggestions from everyone who's commented and made suggestions, so thanks!

Does anyone know what's the max RPMs I should be revving to being as my engine is totally stock? I posted a video of my 1 - 100 test hit for Zippy on page 7 and a couple of guys told me I was revving way too high. Input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'm sure some of the know it all slap dicks around here will correct this, but I rev my truck to 6500. I have heard of people going as high as 7200 on stock motors, but I have no personal experience revving one that high.

Zippy has mine tuned to somewhere around 62 - 6400 as I can't quite tell from my video. The reason I asked was because a couple of dudes with '04 Sierra Denali's were commenting on my build thread on PTnet saying 6400 is waaay to high to rev my stock motor. I told them I trusted Zippy's tuning since he's been tuning these trucks for 10+ yrs. Just thought I'd get some advice from over here on this.