Spare tire removal...

SuperDave

I'm surprised I've not seen a post about removing the spare tire from our Beloved Silverado SS trucks before.... My SS is a 2003, 11 years old now with a whopping 47K on the odometer. Today I tried to lower my spare to use while I send my painted wheel to the repair shop for some paint work. Oh to my surprise the hurdles one must jump over and hoops to jump through to get the spare down... lol.... But after all the crap my tire would not budge! I'm not talking about the secondary latch BS.... I'm saying the winch would not lower the tire at all, NONE. Has anyone had this happen to them? I shoved the rod through the bumper until I felt it hit home and felt some resistance to turning, put the handle on the end and turned it to the left about 20 revolutions, and nothing. So I turned it to the right and nothing. I'm befuddled. Can anyone help me with this?

Arrgghhhh..... Stupid GM engineers..... !

It's hard to lube it if it won't come down... and I tried the jack on top of the wheel chocks deal to relieve the pressure from the secondary latch, but like I said in the initial post... it won't budge at all. It's supposed to lower down until the safety latch catches it and the cable will be loose. My Winch is not moving. At all.... no matter which way I turn it. My truck is garage kept, and rarely driven in harsh weather... not even rain really... the underside is immaculate and the spare has never been down before. There is no corrosion on the winch or any of the frame members under it. I don't believe it is frozen up... I think it's a mechanical failure of a poorly designed or cheaply built spare carrier. I guess it's a good thing in the past 11 years I've never needed my spare! Now to figure out how to get it down without ruining it or taking a torch to it!

I was trying to get mine out when I put new axle seals in the rear diff and swapped the cover out with a moser and I was like if this thing won't come out on a lift then how am I suppose to get it out on the side of the road with a flat so the spare and whole setup came out.

If I need my spare ill just have it delivered buy my brother or bring it in the bed on long trips.

It was the first time the spare had been lowered since it was put in when the truck was built so gone with the anchor

Happened to me like 3 years ago. I did a post about that hellashious trip i and my quest to get my spare tire down. Cliff notes version of the story a cutting wheel and anger got my spare tire down. Now it hangs out in the bed of my truck!!