Spare tire removal...

SuperDave

No problem here... I completely removed my bumper and replaced with BSER Roll pan, I also completely removed the tire and winch assembly and had no problems whatsoever at 53K... But I have not driven in any salt or snow for the life of the vehicle and only summer driven on nice days so not a spec of rust anywhere besides casual surface rust... With that said I have my tire winch and mount that I'd sell you if you need one....

Not totally sure how it works but I think you have to use the jack to push up in the piece in the middle to 'unlock' it to allow it to come down. I figured mine out with a saw-zall......problem fixed.

This is the funniest thing I've heard..lmao

If I left my spare in the back of the truck it would last one trip and someone would relieve me of it! lol.... I still haven't gotten it down yet. When I turn the winch to lower it there is a strange feeling like a stripped gear or it's bypassing the mechanism... It does not move the tire even a millimeter regardless of which way I turn the winch handle. I need to get the truck up off the ground and get out the heavy artillery. I just don't want to ruin it or trash it.. .can't afford to replace it right now and I know a dealership won't warranty it 11 years down the road!

I was able to position my wheel enough to use a socket with an extension to take out the bolt that holds the unit in. After the bolt was out, I was able jack up the tire enough to release the stress, then the entire unit came out in one piece. Once it was out, I used a flathead on the secondary, then could manually loosen the cable enough to remove the unit from the wheel/tire. Definitely wasn't happening in an emergency situation on the side of the road.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

spent 20 mins today, 2 floor jacks, a crow bar, and a pick getting the stupid little secondary lock of my dads 09 Sierra, 15 seconds with a cut off wheel, shaved the little hook off and we won't have a problem! Done it to all my gm trucks and have not lost a spare yet!!? (Knock on wood)