Camshaft swap cost

Just thought I'd share my cost figures for the members who haven't done this yet.

Cam and hardened push rods straight from Comp- 512.00

PAC springs 1218-150

Front cover gasket, water pump gasket, harmonic balancer bolt- 45.00 from dealer

Fluids 2 oil changes, dexcool, and balancer puller rental - 144.00

Grand total 851.00 bucks. All brand new parts guys.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owuld also replace the oil pump while your right there. I would also look inot getting some 3/8 dowl rods to hold the lifters up while replacing the cam unless you want to chance the lifters falling and having to pull the heads off. I would also skip the GM crank bolt, and Go ARP with it.

Rocker arms would help, but arent a have to. You will also need a valve spring removal tool and air compressor, air compressor spark plug fitting to compress each cylinder for spring removal.

When i do cam swaps, I do the whole deal, replace the lock retainers etc. My total cost on parts was about $1,800 but I added some extras like the two piece timing cover set, rocker arms, oil pump etc. I would also get the cam lock bolt cover to hold the cam in place from moving back and forth. Its a safety deal.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)