cold air intake??

jbiller

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using an AEM brute force only because I picked it up for cheap at the time.

And then later took the measuring tape to it and found the biggest KN cone filter I could fit. Worms good.

Yup yup, same here.

Worms good is hard to argue with. :jester:

Lol

Yeah I like it except for the fact that it's metal, it just seems like the IAT's would read high. And it's a 4" tube as well.

Wicked you ever think about fabbing up a 5" intake, it would have to neck down to a 4" if you run the stock MAF; but you can always do away with it and get an SD tune. Maybe your setup could benefit from it. I've tried searching to see if anyone's done it, and I've only seen one person do it.

The whole plastic vs metal vs iat is meaningless. The air doesnt stay long enough in the pipe for the temperature of the intake air charge to even change. Also the air doesnt ride on the walls if the intake pipe. Food for thought, out cylinder heads are metal (aluminum) so go figure lol

in honest opinion witch is the cold air intake that gives more hp. i was planning on gettin the k&n because of the dyno charts on this site sayin the k&n. but i like the look of the volant. so if the volant gives more hp & its better than thats wat ill get.

HP numbers all vary from truck to truck and other modifications. You can have two stock silverado SS'S with the same cold air kit and you will get different numbers.

About the IAT difference. I posted a while back on this when the same subject came up. I drove my truck around with the aluminum tube until engine got to temp. Took my infra red temp gun and took temps of the tube right after the engine was shut off, and every 5 minute interval after that for 15 minutes.

Did the same thing with my wifes TBSS with the plastic tube. The aluminum temperature was lower, across the board. The Aluminum cools faster than plastic. I dont remember the exact numbers but I do know the aluminum tube right after the engine was shut off compared to the plastic one, the aluminum tube was around 20 degrees cooler.

Heres the thread.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/75981-cold-air-intake/page-2?hl=%2Bcold+%2Bair+%2Bfilter+%2Btemp&do=findComment&comment=877770

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)