Bye Bye Lightning.

2xss

Not trying to start anything, a "fresh" 06 Rwd SS running against a "rode hard and put away wet" 1999 lighting is always a very real possibility.

The 06 are the quickest SSS's off the factory floor. My truck with tuning, and no major bolt ons has produced better quarter mike times than my friends tired 03 SSS with a cam and blower. Not saying I've beat a L, just saying that there are a lot of tired sport trucks out there these days.

Whenever we hear these stories, some guys around here turn into mr. Street race and pulls up stock vs stock times by professional drivers off of car and drivers website. Just saying.

What tha hell ????

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk I raced a joe gibbs truck and beat him. If I wasn't awd tho I would haven't got the jump on him. I figure the lighting is in the same level as a gibbs truck. I just can't see a SSS betting a cammed and blown SSS. Just because it's an 06 model.

I would say that I could have happened. Maybe the lightning wasn't running as good as it once did. I can say from all my races I have beat things I shouldn't have and stayed really close to ones I shouldn't have. If you get the jump on someone they gotta be making some ponies to come around you. None of us were ther so we don't know. As far as the 06's being the fastest idk about that. This has been beat to death for years on this site, to many variables to really say.

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)

I do believe you all have your own opinions, and are entitled to them. I did not mean to start a whole big huge debate over this, I simply wanted to share my story. I am old enough to NOT make up stories that are not true, I have better things to do. lol! You can believe, or not, I really don't care. Thanks for all the comments, good, and bad, its all good to me, I was there, I know, and don't have to prove it to anyone...

Care to elaborate on this statement? My interest is piqued

Look through the list of SSS quarter mile times post. In general any of the 2wd trucks with the same mods as and AWD truck at the stock and mild bolt on level run quicker times. That said there are a bunch of recent 2wd times not posted on this list. Myself included. Like I said this is in general.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/2857-list-of-track-times-for-silverado-sss/

The 06 are the quickest SSS's off the factory floor ! Where you get that info from ?

The 05/06 2wd trucks are lighter and have e fans. Effectively gaining them more usable hp. That statement should have said that the 05/06 are generally the quickest off of the factory floor. Nobody switches there fuel or fan system to the 03 style. Why? Because the later year parts are more capable.

Thanks for the laugh, this was hilarious!

If anyone wants to discuss this further I would gladly do it through some friendly pm's

I agree the 2wd are a little faster on the big end, there a little lighter and don't have all the extra strain on turning the front driveshaft. There very close tho due to the launch of the awd. CJ ran a 14.3 with a tune and exhaust only no headers. There's Noway I'd trade mine for a 2wd just love the launch of the line.

Im not gonna say it didn't happen, lots of variables that can make it possible, it was a street race not timed track race.

I raced my good buddies 2000 Lightning with an 04 L swap and bolt ons w/ built trans against me with a stall, CAI, LT's and me on 22 reps and leaving easy off the line, at the 1320 I was ahead but past that he would/will gain on me, power/weight is his favor. I didn't have the tbss intake on at the time of race but I'm sure it woulda helped on top a bit.

And I remember racing a Joe Gibss ext cab on hwy, and those are 5.3 s/c, and I only had a stupid flowmaster and CAI, I'd take the hit and the stock PCM wouldn't go pass 107 MPH or so and that's were he would pass me. Will anyone believe me, probably not.

Idk I raced a joe gibbs truck and beat him. If I wasn't awd tho I would haven't got the jump on him. I figure the lighting is in the same level as a gibbs truck. I just can't see a SSS betting a cammed and blown SSS. Just because it's an 06 model.

I never said I have beat a cammed and blown SS, I said I have produced better quarter mile results than a friends truck with a blower and cam. The truck I'm speaking of is DiamondSS's brother. He ended up blowing up his power dyne supercharger which I later bought and sold to a guy on PT.net.

Just so you don't mix my words.

This used to be a place where guys shared builds, information and cool ideas and stories... Over the last couple months there's been lots of dumb fights over nothing. Where's the SSS family at these days?

And RWD for the win 06 SS trucks are faster especially if they're black lol.

No but I test drove an AWD and RWD before buying and I knew I wanted a RWD. And I got a chance to run a local AWD SS that was known for being fast, and I was intimidated at first, I said to myself AWD and on the street with me on the 22's not gonna be good lol. I was being a ricer and said lets try a roll since im rwd and just gonna roast the tires (trying to take the AWD advantage away), and he was being a hard ass and said no lets do it from a stop, I said alright whatever you want then. And I lit them up alittle at the jump but sure enough caught and passed him up easily, came back and he was mad. Said he never lost to an SS and that he's AWD blah blah, I said meet RWD SS :)

And we did the roll race too, same outcome. I do have the roll vid on my phone, I'll to ask around for the dig run if needed.

OH and I can light up my tires in smoke if I wanted or hit a corner with slight throttle and fill the rear wheel wells with smoke, can AWD do that? :burnout::peelout:

I'm with ya Powell. My 06 mod for

Mod against any awd ss will walk it. We were both running 14.1 with just a tune. Show me an awd that can do that..... Just sayinnnnnnnn

I agree the 2wd are a little faster on the big end, there a little lighter and don't have all the extra strain on turning the front driveshaft. There very close tho due to the launch of the awd. CJ ran a 14.3 with a tune and exhaust only no headers. There's Noway I'd trade mine for a 2wd just love the launch of the line.

Thanks for the support fellers