6.0 lq9 build question

arthur93

well i just payed off my 2006 ext cab its a 4.8 and i want do a engine swap i want to go a 6.0 lq9 but i have a couple of question

i want to be all motor btw

can this engine make 460hp?

what would all i need for this build?

how much would it cost me?

if i go 408 stoker how much would that cost me and how much power would it be making?

You can make that power out of the 6.0 with a set of heads a cam, with the supporting mods. Your gonna have to spend some time searching to figure out what YOU need for YOUR build. And cost is gonna vary on how much you pay for the short block (considering you want +460 hp, you won't need the factory heads), and if your doing your own labor.

Yes it can make that power, either stock cube or 408, like stated above your budget will be the factor. Heads, cam, intake, exhaust, fuel delivery, tuning. Each one of those has their own price tags in a very wide range of numbers, and the amount of work you do on your own plays a big role. Its easy to nail down the cost of the big pieces but you might surprised how quickly the small things add up. Ask L8terbro how quickly a built trans and a blower can add up. You can do things on a budget and shouldnt be afraid to if you research and do the work right. The key is researching. You can make a LOt of power with an LQ9. The thickness of your wallet is the only thing that will stop you.

It is very possible with right set up. I am assuming you are referring to 460 rwhp correct?

well their one problem..

i dont know much about building nor engines i just know that the ss truck is a 6.0 lq9

yes i mean rwhp i just want some help to build a monster

so what would you recommend?

what heads should i go with?

what cam should i go with?

what intake?

etc,etc

and what's a good website to get these parts from?

Im curious also. I want to beef my ss up too. I already have the 6.0. Just wondering what type of heads cam etc. Ss community what are your recommendations. Lookin around 450 500 rwhp

Your questions are really wide open. Like others have said you can make any amount of HP you want with a 6.0. It all comes down to how deep your pockets are. As for building a 408, there are so many options, You could spend 15 grand on a 408 setup all motor or spend 8 grand. Price depends on parts.

As far what parts to use, you have to look at alot of things.

Do you want driveability? meaning every day use, or just once and awhile?

High compression?

Gas mileage

Are you assembling the engine? or having it done for you?

There are alot of good parts out there, it all comes down to what you have to spend. Its not only about brand names, but also what people either have on there own truck, and or want to use. Just because someone says go with say AFR heads, doesnt mean you have to, there are plenty of other good brands.

The best thing to do, is speak to a machinist about exactly what you want, they will ask you the same questions I did. They will offer youthebest advice with the budget you have. thats the best way, and most efficient.

A converter will actually eat up HP.

It doesn't exactly "eat horse power" it just puts it down in a different way. If he wants 450-500whp NA he's going to have a decent cam, which he'll need a stall for, especially with the weight of these trucks.

It doesn't exactly "eat horse power" it just puts it down in a different way. If he wants 450-500whp NA he's going to have a decent cam, which he'll need a stall for, especially with the weight of these trucks.

I have a 3600 stall converter with 485rwhp and not a donkey dick cam :)

I have a 3600 stall converter

My point exactly ^^^

And I didn't say "donkey dick" I said decent. I'm running a 224/228 (which i consider to be decent/medium cam) and my 3200 isn't enough for it. A 3400 or 3600 would be good for it.