cams

Wecome!

There isn't really 'one' cam that's best. You need to choose how big you want to go with how you intend to use your truck.

I ran a 220/220 112, and this 210/218 112. From what I gathered...

The 220/220 on a 112 was too 'street/strip' oriented for me. Very linear powerband - came alive up top by 4,000rpm, but was very bland below that. I lost enough lowend around/under 2,000 to do some complaining. Never really found the ceiling on this thing. I think it was north of 6,200.

The 210/218 on a 112 is a rowdy little cam. Comes alive early and makes great power by 2,000rpm. Tops out around 6K, which is fine for me. Lost a little power below 1,500, but it's not that bothersome even on a stock converter. Seems to work great even on stock manifolds.

For a turbo, you want a cam between 114 and 117 lsa. I'm not sure, but I believe an s/c cam has different requirements.

Many folks will tell you that a turbo cam should be a reverse split cam (i.e. 224/220 dur) or a dual (i.e. 220/220 dur), but according to a lot of cam companies, a couple of engine builders and STS, that is kind of 'old school' info, and not really necessary (in other words, a reverse split, a forward split or a dual cam are all fine).

For a turbo on an other wise stockish truck, you'll want somewhere in the 220-224ish range for both durations and you definitely want to upgrade your springs.

in picking a cam it's important to know if you're going to change the converter.

YES I WOULD LIKE TO RUN STOCK CONVERTER IM NOT GOING TO RUN A TURBO OR A SUPER. MY GOAL IS TO MAKE IT RUN AROUND 13.5 IN 1/4 MILE ON MOTOR ALONE .. I WAS THINKING A GOOD CAM, COLD AIR INTAKE, A COMPUTER MOD, HEADERS SHOULD DO THE TRICK HOPEFULLY.. HAVE ANY IDEAS

Archived