Any resilution on our steering clunks

shopman1

I see there was a petition started for the steering problems on our SS's. Did anyone at GM answer?

I believe I read that one of our members actualy lost his steering. With all GM's problems this may be a very low priority. But I also would guess that it could be a problem which is intentaly overlooked by GM as well. I hate to think that some one loosing there life is the only way problems like we have can be fixed.

Any news?

thanks,

shopman1 and I have a clunking steering column!

GM came out with an updated replacement steering shaft a few years ago that supposedly takes care of the clunking problem. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. I have one and haven't had a clunk in 5 years.....

There was a recall on it. I had mine taken care of. Or just buy a new one for $55 thru GM parts direct. I tried greasing mine and it doesnt fix the issue. The issue lies that the shaft itself is loose, no amount of grease will fix that. I even had a brand new shaft that was loose and had to have the dealer order me a new one.

There was a recall on it. I had mine taken care of. Or just buy a new one for $55 thru GM parts direct. I tried greasing mine and it doesnt fix the issue. The issue lies that the shaft itself is loose, no amount of grease will fix that. I even had a brand new shaft that was loose and had to have the dealer order me a new one.

mine does it a little bit. If I were to take it to the dealer they would replace it under the recall do you think?

Can someone describe said "clunk"? I don't recall hearing anything when i make any turns.

The clunk normally happens when you drive over uneven surfaces like voids in pavement, potholes etc. It sounds like metal to metal under the dash. I have even felt the clunk in my feet while on the gas or brake.

Does it have anything to do with the steering wheel not locking when the truck is off? My truck has a "clang" when I hit bumps. Sounds like it's coming from the front end but everything is new up front.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk