Laptop tools to read OBD "drive cycle" information & more?

josebrwn

I've just flunked the Arizona smog test twice in a row, the first time for a faulty fuel cap (do NOT buy fuel caps from Amazon), and the second time for a "not ready" status in the computer. I'd disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light - should have just let it clear itself. Anyway that resets the computer and you have to go through a series of idiotic maneuvers to get the computer to finally be ready, and there's really no way of knowing whether it worked. The kicker is, if you show up a 2nd time and any test is still "not ready", Arizona blocks you from coming back until a mechanic calls them on your behalf.

I'd like to just hook up my laptop to the truck's computer and see for myself WTH is going on.

Which leads to my question: what is the best computer hardware/software I can buy that will let me see these emission statuses, and maybe even see the tuning, or tune it myself?

I've seen some handhelds on Amazon that will let you check engine codes, but what I'm really looking for is a laptop tool. Something to connect to the truck, and software to make sense of it.

Is that something that exists for a reasonable price, with not too steep a learning curve?

Thanks,

Joe

I know EFILive shows this info. On the go, I use a bluetooth transmitter and an app called "Torque" for android.

Here is a pic I took while running it on my tablet. No screenshots of it on my phone since I got a new phone

7uhupe6y.jpg

X2 this is a great way to check out whats going on without spending a ton on a major program like Hptuners or Efilive. I have Hptuners and Torque and a bluetooth transmisster that I use sometimes on my phone.

Cool! I never realized bluetooth could be used that way. Ingenious.

Sorry for the late reply was waiting on the verdict. Turned out to be an evap solenoid (?) located in the rear wheel well. Apparently there's a GM bulletin out there somewhere about it, can't find it right now. There's a kit that moves it to the front of the truck.

Truck's getting some ping on this 91 octane in AZ, hoping to figure that out and maybe get a little more insight into the vehicle. I'll check out EFIlive & Torque!

Thanks!!