Repetitive rubbing sound coming from wheels/brakes

It started out as a slight repetitive almost hissing sound, I could only hear it when I was driving next to a building. Seemed to rub with every wheel rotation. Starting to get louder now. Does it in neutral and drive but stops if I press on the brake. Hopefully I have put this in the correct forum, I did a few searches but couldn't find anything resembling my condition. 2003 SSS with 110k. On a side note, anyone know where I can score the maintenance manuals for my truck. Thanks in advance for your advise and expertise.

Matt

My truck started this same way. It tuned out to be the wheel bearing hub assembly. You can check for play by jacking up the truck and grabbing the tire. Try to wiggle it. if your tie rods are bad you will get play as well going from left to right. If you hear a clunking thats the main sign. If you get no play and no sound, the bearing can still be bad but tight. Thats what happend with my truck.

If that is the case, and the noise get worse, its most likely that bearing. Then you have to find out what side it is as noise can make it seem like its one side when it could be the other.

Note..... if the bearing is bad, go with a Moog replacement. It may cost a little more, but it will last. Timken has a horrible rep with China made parts that dont last.

It would most likely be one of the front wheels right? I can't tell what side the sound comes from because I only hear it when it echoes off something alongside me while I'm driving. Thanks for the advice, I will get it up in the air this weekend and check for play, probably just replace both hubs anyway considering the mileage. Thank you.

Thats not too bad as long as you use penetrating oil on the back 3 bolts and around where the hub meets the spindle. Heat works well as well to not only loosen rust, but allow the metal to expand. If you use heat, spray some penetrating oil on the that area to allow it creep into the area. You will need a large socket for the axle nut. I also would use lock tight on the axle nut as well afterwards.

Indeed thickcajun, I was told the nut takes a 22mm socket, is this correct? Seems small.

My axle nut was a 36MM. The axle nut is torqued down to 177 FT LBS along with factory lock tight, so you might even need a large metal pipe to help. Make sure when you loosen either one that the truck is on the ground, or you will only spin the wheels.

Another tip, once the hub is removed, use some sand paper and clean up the spindle where the wheel bearing sits. I also use alot of anti seize where the hub goes into the spindle and where the hub touches it. It will help if you ever have to remove them again. The steel and aluminum dont like each other and will start corroding within a few weeks. Also use the anti seize on the new wheel studs for the lug nuts and on the back of the wheels where they touch the hub.

No problem, Glad I can help you save some money.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Just wanted to add an update, don't forget to lube the rails that the brake pads slide on when you put the pads back in, I didn't and my front left was stuck rubbing on the rotor today, pulled the caliper and lubed it up, no more rub. Did the other side too. Every noise this truck makes drives me crazy.