Advice on buying an '03 SSS

JRusty15

Hello all! I am a new member on the forums. I have wanted a SSS for a long time, and happen to come across one in the area that I think is a good deal. I did a bit of searching on here today, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I need some advice on what to look for when buying this truck, and what maintenance items should be done so I can get an idea of what I will be spending on maintenance parts when/if I take this home.

Truck is a 2003, blue, about 125k miles. I have yet to see it in person, but want to do as much reasearch as possible before I go. From the pictures it appears to be in great overall condition. The driver's side seat is a little worn on the left side, I saw a K&N instake and slotted rotors from the photos. AutoCheck report stated one accident, but no details about what the accident involved. The truck is at a used car dealership that appears to be reputable. I have not had any experience with them myself. So I am looking to see what things I should look for and/or inspect when I go to see the vehicle, and what a good/fair price would be for the truck. They are asking $12,600. Also, at this mileage what maintenance items should I do? I expect to do oil & filter, trans, xfer case, diff fluid changes. Basic stuff like check bushings and suspension components. But what about bigger items like a timing belt (or chain)? Anything I should look out for?

I apologize if there was a post or a sticky about this somewhere, I just couldn't find it. I appreciate any help I can get!

This is a very common question.

The weak points in these trucks are the Transmission and the Front Diff. But unless the diff is leaking it is hard to tell if anything is wrong with it. When you drive make sure the transmission shifts normally and does not have any slipping issues.

Have the dealer pull a carfax and see if there is more information on the wreck and on service records. If the vehicle was well take care of, then you should not have nay problems. If it was abused then there are a number of issues that could rise.

No timing belt to worry about.

This is what I would look for as these trucks with higher miles have normal wear issues.

The oil cooler lines that go from the block to the front of the truck are known to start leaking. The lines are about $125 but are hell to put in. Same goes for the passenger side trans hardline, that run from the radiator to the trans. Thay leak. Also a pain as you have virtually no room to install the line to top of the trans.

Belt wear, glazed shiny look, cracking.

Check all fluids, for color.

Coolant, brake fluid, oil, power steering. People and dealers dont change this for a used vehicle minus oil. Your going to have to do those.

Trans fluid color, and smell. I myself do this anyway even if Im told it was done, I dont trust dealers or salesman. So filter fluid and gasket.

I would even check the front diff fluid there. Pull the plug and if no fluid comes out its low. I highly doubt anyone has ever changed it..

Like you said, ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings. I can go on and on. Normally when I look at something used I spend about 2 hours going over the vehicle for anything hidden. If you ask they will put it on a rack for you.

As far as the accident goes, look over every body line where the fenders meet the hood, doors etc. Run you finger over this entire gap and feel for it to be even, if its not and or the gap is different that could possibly be what was replaced.

Check for the appearance of orange peel, from the factory paint on every panel, if the paint looks different in a section its most likely been re painted there.

Also check for any over spray or tape lines, near the bottom edges of the doors, inside the doors, door jambs in the wheel wells, under the truck etc.

My old silverado ss had 142K on it and I never had a issue with a timing chain. If it was loose it would make noise and you would hear it. I would also change the fuel filter since its in line.

Check tire wear on each tire visually at eye level, and then run your entire hand over the tire one way and then back the opposite direction. If you feel the tire grabbing you hand, there is several things that cause this, which is cupping and feathering

Im proper air pressure, being too high or too low.

Not balancing every 5K

Bad ball joints, inner and or outer tie rods.

wheel bearings, etc.

As long as you spend some time on it and look it over slowly you will see whats there and what isnt. The biggest thing is to not show that are really want it. Then you can over whelm yourself with excitement and miss something. Go over it and look at to pick it apart piece by piece.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

1st piece of advice is invest in a kill switch, park in a garage at work and/or home, have some sort of GPS tracking system that alerts you if anything were to happen.

$12,600 is in the ball park. Id definitely try to get it for 11,000. I've been around the sales side of the car business my whole life because of my dad. Odds are they have around $8-9k in it so you can beat them down a bit. I just got mine back in December with right at 100k for a little less than that but like I said I have the connection with my dad being in the businesses

Thanks for the advice guys. I work part time as a mechanic at a dealership so I have an idea of how things work. I'm hoping to check it out today. If it checks out and I can get something on the price I'll be taking it home.

I took a look at it today. It needs a little work. Needs pads soon, two tires, alignment, whatever the bump stop things are over the rear axle by the leaf springs and fog lights don't work. Didn't see any leaks by the trans cooler line or oil cooler line. Plastic cover over the top of the engine was missing and has a k&n intake. Minor dents and scratches. Has hids. Drove fine. They put in new brake master cylinder and exhaust pipe after the muffler. They were willing to go down to $11,500 and I said I'd think about it. Oh, also noticed one of the lines to the condensor was sweating after I turned on the ac for a second but it worked. Heat works too. What do you guys think?

As fate would have it, I happen to come across a 2006 SSS right in my own town! And to make it even better, the guy selling it is a good friend of my girlfriend's family. Her and her dad both boasted how well he takes care of his cars and trucks. So of course I took a look. It's an 06, RWD (I guess no more AWD after a certain year?). Black on black, 81k miles. Truck is flawless. Maintenance records available, no accidents, second owner. Beautiful. He is asking $19,500 but said he is negotiable. I am just waiting to hear back from a few banks about a loan, and if I can get a decent rate I will be getting this beauty.

Middle 05 they started the 2 wheel drive only. if you don't need awd for weather or anything else that sounds like a okay deal. definitely not a steal but not bad if its mint like they say it is. Where I live awd 4x4 is a must hav. Ether way congrats on finding one no doubt you'll enjoy it and post up some pics to show it off

Edited by C-RichSS (see edit history)