New Guy from Springfield MO

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is were i should be asking this ( it may have been asked before), but im looking at purchasing a 05 SS and I would like to know how reliable these trucks are( everything Ive read seems to point to good), are there anything I should look out for when buying and are there any issues ( i.e recalls, etc.).

Thank you for your time gentlemen.

Test drive it. Pay Att to how it shifts. The trans are the weak links. These trucks are great I really can't say anything bad mine is 11 yrs old and has run like a top.

Test drive it. Pay Att to how it shifts. The trans are the weak links. These trucks are great I really can't say anything bad mine is 11 yrs old and has run like a top.

Great, thanks for the reply. When you say the trans is the weak link, how weak are we talking? I'm not planning on supercharging it or anything, just basic bolt on's. Can it handle that?

Thank you

I still have my original trans in with a Shiftkit n vett servo. I've had a cam n stall for almost 2 years now. I can stall it up and spin all 4 :) But they can give up on ya. It's just luck of the draw. It def wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Welcome to the site Jared. :cheers:

You can half way expect trouble from the front diff on the AWD trucks. It is a common problem. Regular changes of full synth fluid will help but front diff rebuilds are very common.

Other than that and the trans these are very dependable trucks.

Welcome to the site Jared. :cheers:

You can half way expect trouble from the front diff on the AWD trucks. It is a common problem. Regular changes of full synth fluid will help but front diff rebuilds are very common.

Other than that and the trans these are very dependable trucks.

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I'm going to try and drive it tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Hey, what gas mileage are you guys getting with yours?

You wont even worry about gas milage after you test drive it for the first time Lol I've had mine sense December and absolutely love it and I get around 12-13 in town and 16-20 on the highway. Good luck with it man you'll really enjoy it

You wont even worry about gas milage after you test drive it for the first time Lol I've had mine sense December and absolutely love it and I get around 12-13 in town and 16-20 on the highway. Good luck with it man you'll really enjoy it

As mentioned above, listen for a whine in the front differential. That's a big issue in the awd models. Most end up with it and it's not a cheap fix. I did mine at 90K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a problem. let us know what you get and post pics!

Will do. So i drove it today and the only odd thing i noticed was a slite "knocking" in the steering if i turned the wheel while going over a bump or something of that nature. Unusual or normal?

Welcome to the site, as for the steering wheel part I think thats normal on these trucks, but not bad. I myself have that problem lol. Wouldn't that be the steering wheel clunk everyone refers too? Im hoping someone will chime in on this one

Welcome to the site!

Thank you! So i bought the SS. So far im very impressed. As long as she's reliable I'll be very pleased.

Thank you far all your advice. Now if i can just find the proper mod page...

The steering clunk is not a safety issue says GM so they didn't have to recall it. Go pick up GM part number 19153614 intermediate steering shaft and Google / YouTube installation instructions. It is super easy to install and I'm not mechanically inclined at all. Enjoy the new ride and welcome!