adjusting timing HPT

GI.SS

a few months ago I had a shop tune my truck. I had them leave out 7* for the nitrous. my question is, I just purchased HPT and am trying to figure out where I need to put full timing back in it. I am gonna take a stab at it and say high octane table and highlight the entire thing and add 7* to the whole table? How would you more informed tuners out there do this? I also want to switch a few more things around but ill start with this first.

It's somewhat involved. You can't just add 7° a cross the board. All you should need to do is go to the g/sec where you are in high load and adjust there. Usually the .68+ g/sec tables on a stockish truck

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

It's somewhat involved. You can't just add 7° a cross the board. All you should need to do is go to the g/sec where you are in high load and adjust there. Usually the .68+ g/sec tables on a stockish truck

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

This is one of the greatest things about this forum. Kinda gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling. :jester:

i figured you would chime in. ok confused me a little. engine>spark>advance>? lost me at g/sec tables. my truck has a decent stick in it, tbss manifold, diff injectors, yada yada. id really like someone who knows what theyre doing to take a look at where its at and send me in the direction of what should be changed etc. but id like to start with the timing.

i figured you would chime in. ok confused me a little. engine>spark>advance>? lost me at g/sec tables. my truck has a decent stick in it, tbss manifold, diff injectors, yada yada. id really like someone who knows what theyre doing to take a look at where its at and send me in the direction of what should be changed etc. but id like to start with the timing.

Do a couple of WOT runs and log the runs. Then you could go over the tune to see where exactly you need to tune week the tune.

So what I feel is the right action of events is scan durring WOT and go to the histogram that shows knock. In the cells that show zero, go back to editor, add 1*of timing to the corresponding cells in the histogram of the high octane table. Keep increasing 1* in those cells until I see knock then back down 1* or 2* until knock goes away. Then smooth the table. Does this sound about right? I have a pretty decent tune in it now, just retarded for the nitrous. I'm gonna see if the guy who tuned my truck will email me the n/a tune and have you guys look at it and see what you think.

gallery_4677_321_106952.jpg

The area in red is the WOT timing, this is where you should of had your timing taken out, don't worry about these values as this table is from a completely different vehicle. BTW, where you set up for a 200 shot of nitrous. 7* of timing is a lot to take out.

Yup for a 200. I was told I should be able to put a few degrees back in it since I'm using c16. But I wanted to try 1* at a time and read plugs to make sure timing is dead on for it. As well as having a n/a tune

• 2 weeks later...

Yea that's what I was leaning towards. Reading that write up on pt.net helped I believe krambo was involved with it. What ever happened to him anyway?

Still around, typically tool around all the forums when I have a chance. Mostly in the HPT forum. I don't reply much as of late...but still read and add from time to time. Still tune some, mostly fixing poor tunes for guys at their wits end with a tuner shop.

Mr chpspecial is pointing you where you should be.

Before commenting fully, can you list your full set of mods and if you can, post your tune file? If you are a SD tune, that changes where you should be modifying your timing.

06 Built 65, yank 3600ss, tbss intake, x-link, 87mm tb, flex fuel injectors, 227 236 .613 .578 113+3, 7.4's, btr springs, arp 2000 rod bolts, arp headstuds, 1 7/8" full 3" back, 160 t stat. thats my n/a setup. I also run a nx express plate kit jetted at 200 with a standalone cell with c16 in it fuel pressure set at 6.5lbs. Iv been back and forth with the local shop that tuned my truck. They make me sick. Unless I spend 30K and own a c7 i wont get the time of day! I attached the hpt file and a log. Im unhappy with a lot of the tune. I feel its lacking randomly dies when I get out of the gas sometimes. also it idles high and is a dog! i feel it should be A LOT faster than it is.

2006 Silverado SS cam converter all motor 6-10-14.hpt

silverado ss 6-10-14.hpl

06 Built 65, yank 3600ss, tbss intake, x-link, 87mm tb, flex fuel injectors, 227 236 .613 .578 113+3, 7.4's, btr springs, arp 2000 rod bolts, arp headstuds, 1 7/8" full 3" back, 160 t stat. thats my n/a setup. I also run a nx express plate kit jetted at 200 with a standalone cell with c16 in it fuel pressure set at 6.5lbs. Iv been back and forth with the local shop that tuned my truck. They make me sick. Unless I spend 30K and own a c7 i wont get the time of day! I attached the hpt file and a log. Im unhappy with a lot of the tune. I feel its lacking randomly dies when I get out of the gas sometimes. also it idles high and is a dog! i feel it should be A LOT faster than it is.

Hate to hear that they treated you that way. I have been watching your progress and was curious how they would do. I talked to them about getting a tune after I did my intake swap, but they acted like they really didnt care since all I wanted was just a tune.