Moving the IAT sensor out of the MAF and into TB

I'd rather get my IAT from the throttle body lip (because of the meth inj and because I want to throw my GM MAF as far as I can, and then hit it with a rock).

It's an easy change as far as wiring if you are converting to SD anyway, but I looked at the IAT in my MAF this am and it seems like it could be hard to mount...

Any idears?

Older 4.3L S10's had a little fitting on the intake tube that held the IAT sensor. You might be able to dig up these parts and retrofit them onto your setup.

The "holder" on the S10's is just a little plastic cage that holds the IAT sensor. The sensor is just a Thermistor that can be bought at Radio Shack for a few bucks. The holder/cage fits into a grommet that would be simple to pop into your intake tubing.

Maybe a junkyard wold allow you to cut the wires, and take the whole thing out?

Jason, I have a silicon elbow (just like on the Vortechs) on the TB. I could put the IAT right past the meth injector, though -- I guess it'd be about 4 inches from the TB, but would a gromet hold it in place (because the tube is pressurized?)

I was thinking I'd have to tap the tube somehow and screw the IAT sensor in.

Jason,  I have a silicon elbow (just like on the Vortechs) on the TB.  I could put the IAT right past the  meth injector, though -- I guess it'd be about 4 inches from the TB, but would a gromet hold it in place (because the tube is pressurized?)

I was thinking I'd have to tap the tube somehow and screw the IAT sensor in.

I'm really not positive. I'm not sure what the 97-00' vettes did in boosted applications. :confused:

:sigh: Sorry, I forgot about the boost thing. Sounds like the tube is your best bet.

Use the IAT from the early C5 vette as suggested, but mount it on the other side of the TB in the manifold. There is a spot on the passenger side where the EGR used to go. I'd plumb it in there. That way it wouldn't be in the way when you take the TB on and off.

intakes1.jpg

Eirk, Tex has a point. Also it would be less likely to pop out if you lift throttle suddenly and the BV doesn't open quickly enough. :)

Good ideas guys. I was wondering how I would set mine up. I was just gonna use an old IAT sensor form my T/A.

Thanks to Aaron, I have a very nice IAT sensor to use for this project.

What's holding me up right now is trying to figure out how to make the IAT assembly stay in the manifold under boost. I was thinking I could glue it into the manifold, but then if I have to change the sensor, I'm screwed...

Right now, my thoughts are running to pvc threaded fittings.

Any ideas?

Your MAP sensor is only held in by a piece that goes over it.  It sits at the back of the intake manifold.  Maybe something like that?  Where do you plan to put it?

Good point... Flyer on LS1Tech suggested just siliconing it in place. I will probably try that. I'm going to put it in the EGR plate (tentatively -- I haven't mocked anything up for fit yet)

The truck that came off on (my 96) it was in the intake tube with a rubber grommet. Before you say it wasn't pressurized, it was. I was running 8-9 psi with a supercharger, and it held in there fine. Just make sure it is snug, or stick some silicon on the outside of it to hold it in place.

Aaron

Archived