PS drain and refill

Steelheading365

Anyone want to help me out with a quick how to on replacing my power steering fluid? I searched the threads and didn't find anything. Also recommendations on fluid type would be great. I have amsoil synthetic ps fluid waiting on deck but can always return it. Thanks in advance guys as always.

I just normally pop the lower hose off, let it drain, pull the reservoir out, clean it out with brake cleaner,replace the reservoir, turn the wheels left and right to get it all out. put hose back, refill, turn wheel while running left to right to remove air, until its full.

Having the truck off the ground doesnt have to be done. the best way to force air out of the system is to force the fluid thru with the tiers on the ground and power steering fluid reservoir full. I have done many many times and never had a issue.If I did have a issue doing it this way, I would post.

Having the truck off the ground doesnt have to be done. the best way to force air out of the system is to force the fluid thru with the tiers on the ground and power steering fluid reservoir full. I have done many many times and never had a issue.If I did have a issue doing it this way, I would post.

Agreed.

GM says to NEVER have the engine running when you are bleeding the PS...Toyota has the same point of view also....You can do it any way you want, its just not the preferred method for GM.....

If the wheels are not off the ground you will airate the oil. The pump with push the air and the oil at the same time at high pressure when you turn the steering wheel, mixing the two. It will seem full, but because hydraulic oil holds air so well it will retain the air bubbles for several hours. After a good 6 or so hours it will separate again, and air will be in the system. Hydraulics 101, don't load the system when purging air. GM says to lift the wheels for a reason....

• 2 weeks later...

This is copied staight from my GM service information....The correct way to bleed the PS system!!!!

Fill pump reservoir with fluid to minimum system level, FULL COLD level, or middle of hash mark on cap stick fluid level indicator.

1. If equipped with hydro-boost, fully charge the hydro-boost accumulator using the following procedure:
    1. Start the engine.
    2. Firmly apply the brake pedal 10–15 times.
    3. Turn the engine OFF.
  2. Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  3. Key on engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.

Vehicles equipped with hydro-boost systems or longer length power steering hoses may require turns up to 15 to 20 stop to stops.

4. Verify power steering fluid level per operating specification. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid.
  5. Start the engine. Rotate steering wheel from left to right. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).
  6. Verify the fluid level. Repeat the bleed procedure, if necessary.