Hydraulic Jack and Jack Stands

lsandberg

I'm looking to buy a hydraulic floor jack and some jack stands so I can start doing my own tire rotations on my 04 Silverado SS. How many ton hydraulic floor jack and jack stands are you guys using? When you do it are you lifting an entire end or just one tire at a time? This would also dictate how many ton the hydraulic floor jack is.

Just use a 2-4 ton floor jack minnimum... and 4 jack stands... Lift front up with hydraulic jack on a center crossmember as close to front as possible usually between the a-arms is good... Then place 2 jack stands one on each side on the frame near the front tires... For the rear you can jack up the back center under the rear differential and then place two jack stands one on each side under the rear axle or similar spot on the frame close to the rear... WARNING!!!!(NEVER RELY ON A HYDRALIC JACK ALONE TO SUPPORT A VEHICLES WEIGHT!!!!!!!) Always use jackstands...

FYI- place jack stands at equal height and slowly lower hydralic jack as to not slam the truck down on the stands. Once rear stands are in place also release pressure on hydralic lift until the truck is sitting with most of its weight on the stands but you can still leave the lift in place until the rotation of tires is complete and its time to jack up and lower... The truck doesnt need to be 8 miles off the ground either just enough so that they freely spin or you can see a little bit of daylight under them

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)