Wanted: SSS Fuel Bucket

rcapone

I'm upgrading my fuel system so I need a fuel bucket that will fit inside the tank of my '04 Silverado SS. The shop who's doing this upgrade for me needs me to send them my fuel bucket so they can modify it to a return style, add add two pumps, etc. The problem is, it will take them 4 weeks to do this, so I can't remove mine and tie up my shop's lift for that long.

If anyone has one laying around for sale, please shoot me a PM or give me a call at 913-491-8100. Thanks!

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Yes, I talked to Lonnie today and he needs my fuel bucket to make it into a double pumper system with a return line, regulator and in-line filter since mine is currently return-less.

Went to the track Friday nite and ran a 12.006 @ 115.38 on 11 psi but Zippy told me my fuel system (Walbro 255) was maxed out and holding me back or else I could have broke into 11's.

I would say your '03 bucket will fit my '04 tank hole if you're willing to sell it. PM me what you want for it?

I've still got the gas tank off my '04 in the basement, which should have the part you need. I have no clue what to ask for it though.

Go easy on me, Lonnie wants like $800.00 just to rebuild it :)

Hell, I could even send you back the one that comes out of my tank if you'd like. I just can't pull mine, send it to him and wait a month for him to build it.

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Ok. I'm going to try to help you. Build your own dual pump setup.

I also was in need of a new fuel setup. And I was going to have lonnies build me a new setup. He wouldn't do what I wanted. I wanted dual Walbro 400's. He said that dual 255's was more than enough. Well. He might be right. But I have seen a lot of these trucks with boost eat a lot of fuel.

So. I priced it out myself. I built it all myself. And I spent about 350 on the fuel bucket. What I spent the most on was the fuel lines and regulator. You are at a level you need to consider a 8an feed and a return line with a boost referenced regulator. I probably have about 1k into just my fuel bucket, lines, fittings and regulator.

I remember you buying id1000's. Build a fuel system to support the whole setup. I am NOT a mechanic. I have had some help from friends, but I did my entire fuel bucket by myself. You can do this. I think you can build it yourself with more pump for less money. I can link you to quite a few fuel pump builds to read through and get a feel for it first.

Now if you are a RB, then by all means. Just have lonnies build your setup, but don't let him talk you into 2 255's. Our trucks are heavy, we run 58psi instead of 43.5 like the cars and your are running boost. You can never have too much pump on a return system. But remember. You need more to your fuel system than just the fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok. I'm going to try to help you. Build your own dual pump setup.

I also was in need of a new fuel setup. And I was going to have lonnies build me a new setup. He wouldn't do what I wanted. I wanted dual Walbro 400's. He said that dual 255's was more than enough. Well. He might be right. But I have seen a lot of these trucks with boost eat a lot of fuel.

So. I priced it out myself. I built it all myself. And I spent about 350 on the fuel bucket. What I spent the most on was the fuel lines and regulator. You are at a level you need to consider a 8an feed and a return line with a boost referenced regulator. I probably have about 1k into just my fuel bucket, lines, fittings and regulator.

I remember you buying id1000's. Build a fuel system to support the whole setup. I am NOT a mechanic. I have had some help from friends, but I did my entire fuel bucket by myself. You can do this. I think you can build it yourself with more pump for less money. I can link you to quite a few fuel pump builds to read through and get a feel for it first.

Now if you are a RB, then by all means. Just have lonnies build your setup, but don't let him talk you into 2 255's. Our trucks are heavy, we run 58psi instead of 43.5 like the cars and your are running boost. You can never have too much pump on a return system. But remember. You need more to your fuel system than just the fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Awesome...I'm down to build my own bucket! I still need one though, lol. How much do you want for your spare one?

Now my spare is not the one you need I think though. I have an extra 03 bucket. You need an 04 bucket.

I upgraded my fuel tank to a return less fuel tank and fuel bucket. I bought an extra return less fuel bucket from a junk yard for 100 bucks.

All I'm asking is do a little research before going that far. I took a few pics of what I did to the fuel bucket in my build thread. I think I even had pics of the wiring harnesses that I bought from racetronix. They are setup to run the second pump on a Hobbs switch. I have my second pump setup to turn on at 7psi. There is also a good write on pt.net. Atomic did a good write up on his dual pump upgrade. Just ignore the tank swap since you should already have the bigger bucket setup.

Lol. Nope. Sorry.

The 04 and up Sss's have a much larger fuel bucket. They also have a return less fuel system.

I have an 03. It is a return system. I got an 04 tank and bucket. And converted the 04 bucket to a return setup. The 04 bucket can easily fit two large pumps in there. The stock 03 return bucket you have to cut the crap out of the bucket to get two pumps in the bucket.

It's a little confusing at first. But the hardest part is the wiring and no one makes a harness for our trucks but justin will square you away. I think he's got it figured out. But so your aware,, a single 450 with a Hotwire kit will support 850hrsp. Run a new feed and return and your set. Unless your going for 1k+ I think you should be alright....

Lol. Nope. Sorry.

The 04 and up Sss's have a much larger fuel bucket. They also have a return less fuel system.

I have an 03. It is a return system. I got an 04 tank and bucket. And converted the 04 bucket to a return setup. The 04 bucket can easily fit two large pumps in there. The stock 03 return bucket you have to cut the crap out of the bucket to get two pumps in the bucket.

lol, ok I looked over Atomic's build thread on the bucket and saw the larger bucket size on the '04 you were talking about. Do you know if there's a special pump needed to run E85...I've heard that is a better fuel to run for boost? Any thoughts or input on that?

It's a little confusing at first. But the hardest part is the wiring and no one makes a harness for our trucks but justin will square you away. I think he's got it figured out. But so your aware,, a single 450 with a Hotwire kit will support 850hrsp. Run a new feed and return and your set. Unless your going for 1k+ I think you should be alright....

Thanks Steve. I'll def. need to do some more research before I tackle the bucket list project but think I can handle it!

As far as e-85. I have zero experience with it. In Alaska all we have is 90 octane. I have learned a lot about methanol and how to manipulate it.

I personally would love to have e85. Because it allows for a lot more compression/boost etc. but it requires a lot of fuel. Which the dual big pumps would support. The Walbro 450 I think is built for e85. I'm not sure on the 400. Hopefully the potato head will chime in here, he is very knowledgable about running e85.

My thoughts are if you can I would. But catch 22 is you can only get it in specific places. So if you travel in your truck I would not.

As far as e-85. I have zero experience with it. In Alaska all we have is 90 octane. I have learned a lot about methanol and how to manipulate it.

I personally would love to have e85. Because it allows for a lot more compression/boost etc. but it requires a lot of fuel. Which the dual big pumps would support. The Walbro 450 I think is built for e85. I'm not sure on the 400. Hopefully the potato head will chime in here, he is very knowledgable about running e85.

My thoughts are if you can I would. But catch 22 is you can only get it in specific places. So if you travel in your truck I would not.

I just talked to Zippy about going the e85 route and he said go for it! He also said I could choose the flex fuel option which is supposedly just a sensor just in case I'm low on fuel and no e85 stations are around. As long as it's not too expensive, I think that's what I'll do.

There has been a few guys to install the flex fuel sensor on a nbs based truck. The hard part is getting the proper tuning and ecm file for the truck to read the sensor. But I'm sure that zippy can figure that out!