Trailer hitch wiring

quickmedic1

On the ss trucks that have a factory trailer hitch the truck has a harness that your trailer plugs into located on the hitch. This harness runs the length of the left frame rail to the fuse/relay box under the hood. On my non trailer hitch ss I have a harness that is tucked up next to the spare tire. By adding an adapter to this you have a trailer hook up. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two harnesses? :confused:

when i put my hitch on mine it was all bolt on. the only difference in the harnes was that

the 7 pin connector needed to be installed and the brake controler pluged in, and a 40 amp fuse installed up frount that came with the controler harness from gm.

i belive there is anouther harness between the cab and the bed for 5th wheel hook up

and thats the only difference ...hope this helps

:seeya:

I bought a used but new condition hitch and will be installing it on my truck. If I buy the hitch package from GM it has the hitch,full harness from hitch to relay box and the small harness for the brake control.

The harness that I found near my spare tire is a 7wire harness with a black 7 pin connector on it's end. I see that Hoppy has an adapter that will plug into this connector and mount to the hitch assy. A tag on the harness states color and function as tail, signal lamp, brake, ground, positive.

If it is just that there is no brake feeds the I should be able to wire them as needed without too much problems. We'll see.

Although you may not have the tow pkg, it is all wired for it. If I remember right, The harness back by the spare tire/bumper plugs into a place to merely hold the plug there away from corrosion, or other damage. GM sells an adapter that comes with the GM hitch that allows you to finish off running the harness to a plug that attaches to the hitch, like the factory does. That adapter is the plug that you'll see attached to everyone's hitch and is the place that you would plug in your trailer harness.

Although you may not have the tow pkg, it is all wired for it.  If I remember right, The harness back by the spare tire/bumper plugs into a a place to merely hold the plug there away from corrosion, or other damage.  GM sells an adapter that comes with the GM hitch that allows you to finish off running the harness to a plug that attaches to the hitch, like the factory does.  That adapter is the plug that you'll see attached to everyone's hitch and is the place that you would plug in your trailer harness.

My dad's new Silverado has a factory hitch, and it has the camper prep package on it (which means it has the same harness that only leads to the area where the bed and cab meet). I found this while installing his running boards, and it finally clicked what that extra wire was for...

i belive there is anouther harness between the cab and the bed for 5th wheel hook up

and thats the only difference ...hope this helps

:seeya:

I was under the impression that because of the all wheel drive we could not haul a 5th wheel or a goose neck type trailer because it would do damage.

I may be wrong but it seems that I read that in the owners manual somewhere. I know, I know that isn't something most of us do but Im sure it is just something that I stumbled across when looking for something else??

JOSH

well guys I finally got off the couch and got my owners manual out and it said the following. A basic harness is supplied with the truck. It is located near the spare tire. It has wiring for the lights only. The heavy duty harness that comes with the trailering package comes with all the hookups including the brakes. So for me...If I need to run brakes at some point I will just add the 2 wires unless I can find a hd harness somewhere.

??? You got me???

Could it be that it doesn't have any trailer brake controll wires in it?

I FINALLY GOT (guessed) SOMETHING RIGHT!!!

Sorry, I had to say that (it isn't every day I get something right)! :jester:

We have faith in you for a reason. :D

Archived