Hey from Southern Indiana, quick question.....

jglenn6

Hey everybody,

I've been pondering this for a long time now, but is the SS Silverado going to be a good truck for me?

Now for a little back story: I'm 25, and have always had performance vehicles in my life. I've personally rebuilt a 1972 El Camino to my liking, along with helping on anything from a 64 Chevelle to a 06 LBZ Duramax. What can I say, I grew up in a hotrod family. I do hunt, fish, and I routinely go offroad (never mudding or trail riding but cutting across fields to shoot or anything along those lines). I also do a lot of pulling. Mainly my trailer with my DJ equipment in it, but about once every four months, I pull a car trailer with car. I also use the bed in my current truck a lot so a bedliner would definetly be needed, eventually.

Now, I know the SSS will do fine in my everyday life (pulling a trailer, and road worthiness), but will it be able to handle all the other stuff I do with ease (off roading and heavy load hauling)? I daily a 98 Silverado 4x4 with a leveling kit and a few things to help with towing/hauling, and with 190,000 miles, I feel I'm ready for a new truck lol.

My cousins 06 duramax doesn't have much ground clearance, how does the SSS compare?

Could I damage the AWD by doing anything offroad?

Truck would be 80/20 on road/off road.

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions!

Jody

Edited by jglenn6 (see edit history)

The SSS were lower, from the factory, than the standard Silverado's. While the SS will do the things you are wanting to do a 4X4 would be a better choice for your use.

The SSS is primarily a street truck with very good traction from the AWD units. They do extremely well in low traction situations but the ground clearance will limit it's off road abilities.

The SSS were lower, from the factory, than the standard Silverado's. While the SS will do the things you are wanting to do a 4X4 would be a better choice for your use.

The SSS is primarily a street truck with very good traction from the AWD units. They do extremely well in low traction situations but the ground clearance will limit it's off road abilities.

I agree with Johnny. My first reaction was "DUH, when isn't a SS a good truck!" The SS is a factory sport truck. Ground clearance is only an issue when you are clearing to much. I live in backwood Kentucky with a 2/4 drop on my Silverado, and its a pain in the neck all the time. Go with a nice 4x4. Maybe a Vortec Max, or a VHO truck would be a better option for you. 4x4, and the ground clearance you need. Along with the power.

I got 2 significant scratches on my front bumper from climbing out of a creek. The trucks just don't have the ground clearance. Made me sick when I scratched it. Never again will she be put in such a situation.