Loose torsion bar or worn control arm - Video

marcello7x

So i have torsion bars that can rotate quite a bit in the control arm.

I went to install lowering keys before i knew i could just crank the stock ones down a bit. turns out everything was rusted and seized together on the key side. I cut them off and put on the new keys. The keys didn't even make contact with the lock and adjuster when back down on the ground. I was 100% only on the bumpstop. I had to clock it over a full turn to make use of them since the others were destroyed. This lifted my front end 1-2 inches

So i ordered another set of purple[stock ss] keys and tried those. Thats when i found those went too low as well.

After that i figured i would order stock 1500 keys which would theoretically lift my front end, useless as well. With those keys flipped upside down i was able to bring the front end back down to stock-ish height in front. Either my torsion bars have sagged, or the worn control arm is letting them rotate too much.

The truck has 215k, any suggestions on which it is?

https://youtu.be/W4_k3tkgB_8

Thanks!

When you're putting the keys in, are you accounting for them to bind in the control arm? Usually torsion bars are a little sloppy in the control arm, when you look at them it looks like a socket about to strip a bolt head. My guess is you're having height problems because the way you install them doesn't hold front end up the way it should. I could be wrong but usually the parts aren't the problem. When you install those keys you should be needing a special clamp to get them where they need to be. The torsion key should be tight on the lock before you even set it down.

When you're putting the keys in, are you accounting for them to bind in the control arm? Usually torsion bars are a little sloppy in the control arm, when you look at them it looks like a socket about to strip a bolt head. My guess is you're having height problems because the way you install them doesn't hold front end up the way it should. I could be wrong but usually the parts aren't the problem. When you install those keys you should be needing a special clamp to get them where they need to be. The torsion key should be tight on the lock before you even set it down.

Thanks for the advice, but I fixed it today. I looked up prices for new bars and realized they are different side to side and came to the co conclusion I swapped them when I cut off the old keys.

Tested my theory today and I was right. Everything is back to normal. Stock keys cranked all the way down. Not bouncy or anything. Won't install lowering keys. Will go another route if I want to go lower.

Thanks for the advice, but I fixed it today. I looked up prices for new bars and realized they are different side to side and came to the co conclusion I swapped them when I cut off the old keys.

Tested my theory today and I was right. Everything is back to normal. Stock keys cranked all the way down. Not bouncy or anything. Won't install lowering keys. Will go another route if I want to go lower.

pm NorCal SS he can help your lowering needs