New best for the STS Z71!!!

F8L Z71

I decided to run the truck one more time and see if the water soaking hurt anything. I picked up some C16 on the way there and added 5ga to about 10ga of 91 octane I already had in the tank.

The weather was great and in the 60s most of the day so I knew times would be good if the motor was not hurt too bad. :)

I got to the track and weighed the beast in at 5100lbs (had over half a tank of gas and my subwoofers inside). So add me in and race weight = 5250lbs

With no adjustments ecept the race gas I went

1st run:

RT: .433

60': 2.14

1/8th:8.41 @ 87.55mph

1/4: 12.92 @ 108.7mph

2nd run:

RT: .090

60': 1.80

1/8th: 7.88 @ 87.5mph

1/4: 12.40@ 108.1mph

Crawled under the truck and turn up the boost by 1psi (hard to tell)

3rd run:

RT: .042

60': 1.85

1/8th: 7.37 @ 87.88mph

1/4: 12.33 @ 110.0mph

The first 2 passes were about 13psi due to the cold temps. When I turned up the boost for the 3rd run I only saw about 13.5-14psi through most of the run but as soon as I hit 3rd gear it hit almost 15psi and stuck there. :confused: Sad this is, the 60' was worse and I was bouncing off the rev limiter on my 2nd to 3rd gear change which hurt a little too.

At that point I felt I still had enough of a cushion to try to up the boost by half a pound and the temps were getting colder so i turn up the methanol for safety and was ready to try again but recieved a call from Rick @ Synergy who had just got a call from Rick Squires and I was told to shut it down and keep it in one piece. Guess there is something going on and I might need the truck to be in working order so I obeyed(sp?) and returned to the pits even though I know I could have went a little faster. :(

Overall I am VERY excited to finally see some decent #s. I guess the cooler temps and the race gas really did it's work. I can only imagine what I could have done had I used a wideband and some scanning software to make changes and try to max the thing out. :)

I decided to run the truck one more time and see if the water soaking hurt anything. I picked up some C16 on the way there and added 5ga to about 10ga of 91 octane I already had in the tank.

The weather was great and in the 60s most of the day so I knew times would be good if the motor was not hurt too bad. :)

I got to the track and weighed the beast in at 5100lbs (had over half a tank of gas and my subwoofers inside). So add me in and race weight = 5250lbs

With no adjustments ecept the race gas I went

1st run:

RT: .433

60': 2.14

1/8th:8.41 @ 87.55mph

1/4: 12.92 @ 108.7mph

2nd run:

RT: .090

60': 1.80

1/8th: 7.88 @ 87.5mph

1/4: 12.40@ 108.1mph

Crawled under the truck and turn up the boost by 1psi (hard to tell)

3rd run:

RT: .042

60': 1.85

1/8th: 7.37 @ 87.88mph

1/4: 12.33 @ 110.0mph

The first 2 passes were about 13psi due to the cold temps. When I turned up the boost for the 3rd run I only saw about 13.5-14psi through most of the run but as soon as I hit 3rd gear it hit almost 15psi and stuck there.  :confused:  Sad this is, the 60' was worse and I was bouncing off the rev limiter on my 2nd to 3rd gear change which hurt a little too.

At that point I felt I still had enough of a cushion to try to up the boost by half a pound and the temps were getting colder so i turn up the methanol for safety and was ready to try again but recieved a call from Rick @ Synergy who had just got a call from Rick Squires and I was told to shut it down and keep it in one piece. Guess there is something going on and I might need the truck to be in working order so I obeyed(sp?) and returned to the pits even though I know I could have went a little faster. :(

Overall I am VERY excited to finally see some decent #s. I guess the cooler temps and the race gas really did it's work. I can only imagine what I could have done had I used a wideband and some scanning software to make changes and try to max the thing out. :)

You talk about a water soaking. After looking at the STS setup I was curious how you drive that in the rain?

Tranny is still acting up. I expected to break something last night but everything lived. Probably because I stopped while I was ahead and didn't turn up the boost any more. :) When I fix the trans it will just be replaced with a stock 4L80E.

The truck drives perfectly fine in the rain on low boost with the smaller filter. The large filter and high boost is not so cool. :( I bought the snorkle kit now so I don't have to worry about anything anymore :)

The truck drives perfectly fine in the rain on low boost with the smaller filter. The large filter and high boost is not so cool. :(  I bought the snorkle kit now so I don't have to worry about anything anymore :)

They have an option to remount the air cleaner now? Where does it go? Any pics?

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

F8L Z71,

Great runs...Very nice times. :cheers:

A few of us here in the New England area have thought about the turbo kit for our selves. But the weather up here has me wondering how it would do with all the snow, ice and salt build up we get under our trucks up here.

Anyway, keep up the great work and good luck reaching the 11's.. You are almost there.. :thumbs:

Bill-03-SD

Thanks guys :)

Hank, hurry up and get that thing done so you can take advantage of this great weather man. :) The 3 of us are gonna tear up Sac raceways and leave people with a lot more respect for Ext.Cab trucks! ;)

They have had a snokle option for awhile but I never had problems in the rain before so I never looked into it. Now that I run higher boost and that long filter I decided to buy the kit. It should be here next week so as soon as I install it I will post up pics so you guys can see the before and after locations.

I think the tune is a pain at first with any turbo car. The STS kit should be no different. Just because someone can tune an N/A car doesn't mean they can do a turbo car correctly. My first setup was too lean and we learned a lot on that motor and all the street tuning we do with the wideband. If i win the STS contest then I'll juse the data I collect from daily driving to help my tuner in leanring what my truck does on a daily basis.

As for snow I wouldn't worry much about it because the turbo is going to melt anything that touches it. Only concern would be salt as the hot side of the turbo is a cast iron like material and I would htink it would corrode eventually but I may be wrong. I wonder if a easy shield couldn't be fabbed up to block most of the salt/snow and then you could simply hose it off occationally?

A good idea is to see if anyone else with low hanging turbos has the same problem. Any supercharged Vettes and 911's should have the turbo pretty low.

just talked to PATC and they said they got my parts in and they are going to overnite them to me... hopefully i'll have them tomarrow, then i just need to get the parts installed. also still trying to find a dyno. i've had Allen remove timing a few times and can't seem te get rid of my pinging. let me know when you're going back to the track. i want to go. hopefully i'll be ready.

My truck will be going down here shortly to install a 6.0L and some new mods to hopefully get me to that 650rwhp range. We'll see though..

ATP has an AWD dyno in Fremont. I know it's a drive but they guys there are really cool and the guy that works/tunes my truck is just down the road if you needed help. Lemme know if you want the #...

Make sure and let me know when you go out to the treack for sure. I'll come out and video tape for ya since I wont be racing. :)

916-715-9448

Justin

Archived