Correct part number for locking gas cap with tether?

Vortec MAX

I have a 2006 Vortec MAX, but it will have the same gas cap as an SS since it has the same engine and emission systems. When I bought the truck, I bought a GM locking cap which was part number 12495845. it has since broken. This is no longer a valid part number and refers to a new part number of 12497880.

The problem is, when I look at the compatibility list for that new part number, my truck is not on it. In fact, nothing newer than 2004 is on the list.

So will I have issues with the new part number? Is anyone using that part on an 06 SS without issues?

The reason I want a GM part is so I can retain the tether system. The Stant replacement caps don't have the groove.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

:tumbleweed:

Well, in the interim, I answered my own question with a visit to two local dealerships. I ended up going home with part number 25862765, which is also the same as AC Delco part number GT264. It locks and does have a groove to transfer the factory tether, but does not come with a tether. It is kind of a PITA to get the tether off the old cap, but can be done. I used a pick to get the edge out of the groove and then two small flat blade screwdrivers to get it off.

I hope this information can help someone else.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

Personally I hate locking gas caps. They never seal right and you throw a code..... Sold lots of non locking caps when I worked at a dealer. I'm sure it happens but I don't hear a lot about gas theft anymore..... Heck down here in the south I can get premium for under 2.50!

I bought the locking cap I had on there 9 years ago when I bought the truck. It never threw a code for me. Not once. It wore out, however, and would turn with a clicking sound when you unlocked it... without turning the lower part of the cap. I almost could not get it off.

New cap seems to be working fine. No code yet.

Mike

I bought the locking cap I had on there 9 years ago when I bought the truck. It never threw a code for me. Not once. It wore out, however, and would turn with a clicking sound when you unlocked it... without turning the lower part of the cap. I almost could not get it off.

New cap seems to be working fine. No code yet.

Mike

Your probably fine with the GM one.... When gas got crazy expensive a few years ago people bought cheapo ones at the jippo auto part store. The generic ones are junk.... I don't like any locking gas cap it's a personal thing.....