Anyboy removed Intimidator script without damage?

someotherguy

Pretty sure the body shop is going to want to replace my tailgate instead of fixing it, even if they did fix it they would have to paint.

I've seen you can get OEM Intimidator script but it's crazy expensive and also only the door script. It's noticeably larger than the tailgate script, at pretty much an inch wider, it would put the SS emblem too close to the center.

Failing a source for a new tailgate script, looks like my only option is to try to carefully remove it and reapply. Body shop doesn't want to bother and I don't blame them, but I would like to try it myself.

Anybody else done this? Tips? Sure looks like a pain; lots of individual pieces and some of them quite small.

Richard

Is it a sticker or raised letters like the Ss. If it's raise you could mask off the letters with one big piece of masking take and then take some fishing line. Work the fishing line back and forth. If it's a sticker then I don't know want to do.

It's similar to the SS, just thinner material, and much narrower lines so it's fragile. Since the tailgate is smashed, I don't have to worry about damaging the paint, so I can -probably- remove each piece with a razor blade laid sideways. What will be even tougher though I suspect is cleaning each piece up enough to be able to apply new double-stick tape. For example, just the dots on each "i" are individual pieces.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

It's similar to the SS, just thinner material, and much narrower lines so it's fragile. Since the tailgate is smashed, I don't have to worry about damaging the paint, so I can -probably- remove each piece with a razor blade laid sideways. What will be even tougher though I suspect is cleaning each piece up enough to be able to apply new double-stick tape.

Richard

When you buy a new one it is "stuck" to a film on front so you just apply and it keeps the letters with correct spacing and alignment.... which is why they can charge so much. Nobody is going to take the time to do what your thinking of doing. Plus you going to have a hard time my guess cutting the "double sided" tape to the shape of the letter....

Masking tape and double fishing line will be your best friend. Place the masking tape on, make sure its stuck nice and tight. Trace out each letter on the plain side of the tape. Take the fishing line and work it off. Take the pieces off of the tape, and use an exacto knife to trim out each hole to make a template. Apply the template to the new tail gate, and use double sided gray 3M tape, and cut them to fit using the exacto knife. Apply each piece. Remove template, and enjoy your work.

Man, you are going to have a really hard time getting it off in good shape, then making it look good on another gate. It's sucks bc I had one I literally gave away pretty much. Had an original ISS complete tailgate, but I only needed the spoiler, handle/bezel, and lower cladding strip. I sold the tail gate with all emblems for like $100.

EXGM - problem is, I can't find the tailgate script available new anywhere. Only the door script, which is too large.

There's a copy of them available but it's very obviously not the same (to me.)

Richard

That sucks. Did you see if a dealer out there has one on the parts locator? I swear there was a guy on here a few months back that had a bunch of them for sale....

There are a bunch of door scripts for sale. Guy has a whole pile of them. $$$$$$$ ($350 for 3) and too big for the tailgate.

As it turns out, the knockoff decals are also all door-sized. So I can't even use those.

1BAD2K - man you killin me! ARGgg! :(

Richard

Here's an easy one, I hope. Anybody with an Intimidator - could you measure the scripts on your doors and tailgate, not including the SS...and post back? I know the tailgate one is about 1" narrower total, but I don't have the actual measurements and the truck is at a body shop across town.

Thanks!

Richard