4l80 and can swap

Just traded my stock wheels to a buddy for an 80e(not blown up). I'm want to put in the biggest/highest power cam/stall set up I can. Looking to see what people have done already and want to get pointed in the right direction. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are alot of options, mostly depending on budget. I would either go with a set of Trick Flow 225's or PRC 237's with chambers setup to be around 63-64cc. From there I would order a set of Cometic gaskets in .041" thickness at 4.000 bore for the gain in compression. The cathedral port heads make great power if done well, but compression will be very important in making them work since you need more cam with them than a rectangle port cylinder head. If you do that with a cam such as an MS3 or Torquer V2 and a very good flowing intake (and 102mm TB) such as a Holley High Ram, Victor Jr, or Fast LSx (car version) you should have a mid 12 capable truck with a 4000 range stall. Another way to go would be to use an LS3 port style head such as a Trick Flow 255, GMPP CNC LS3, or PRC 255. With those heads I would recommend a Holley High Ram, Fast LSx (ported only), GM LS3, or Victor Jr. (with plate to bolt 102mm throttle body directly to it). If you do the LS3 type of heads you will keep the chambers around 68cc to keep the piston to valve clearance as high as possible by avoiding milling at all costs. All three heads listed flow massive numbers and part of this is with big valves which can hit the LQ9 pistons which have no valve relief's if you aren't carefull. Running a cam similar to the 281LRR HR13 (231/247) will get you the power band you'll need to also get into the mid 12's. The rectangle port has the shot at making more power, but carefully done both will be very strong. The 4L80E will slow the truck a bit, but the taller first gear will help in keeping tire spin down.

There are alot of options, mostly depending on budget. I would either go with a set of Trick Flow 225's or PRC 237's with chambers setup to be around 63-64cc. From there I would order a set of Cometic gaskets in .041" thickness at 4.000 bore for the gain in compression. The cathedral port heads make great power if done well, but compression will be very important in making them work since you need more cam with them than a rectangle port cylinder head. If you do that with a cam such as an MS3 or Torquer V2 and a very good flowing intake (and 102mm TB) such as a Holley High Ram, Victor Jr, or Fast LSx (car version) you should have a mid 12 capable truck with a 4000 range stall. Another way to go would be to use an LS3 port style head such as a Trick Flow 255, GMPP CNC LS3, or PRC 255. With those heads I would recommend a Holley High Ram, Fast LSx (ported only), GM LS3, or Victor Jr. (with plate to bolt 102mm throttle body directly to it). If you do the LS3 type of heads you will keep the chambers around 68cc to keep the piston to valve clearance as high as possible by avoiding milling at all costs. All three heads listed flow massive numbers and part of this is with big valves which can hit the LQ9 pistons which have no valve relief's if you aren't carefull. Running a cam similar to the 281LRR HR13 (231/247) will get you the power band you'll need to also get into the mid 12's. The rectangle port has the shot at making more power, but carefully done both will be very strong. The 4L80E will slow the truck a bit, but the taller first gear will help in keeping tire spin down.

Thank you that's a lot of help! Not sure my budget is gonna allow me to swap heads/and intake as of now... Probably just gonna do and cam/stall and get the trans built some

What's price range if I did go that route?

I had a buddy who is a trans guy go through my 80e, it was low mile but what the heck... He did some fresh clutches, and his own cocktail of shift kit and dual feed mod. I ordered a triple disc 265mm circle D converter 2600-2800 rpm and a tci machined flexplate. The truck feels great imo. With the trucool 40k, it doesn't get over 150° in traffic in the Texas heat. My truck has 3.42 gears is my only issue. That 80e first gear is WAY different than the 60e, so I'll be swapping to 4.10 gears in a week or so...lucky for you, you already have those though.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)