Throttle Body Bore

RacerJJ

I don't know of anyone who bores out throttle bodies... if you bored it out you'd have to come up with a butterfly to match the new larger diameter. It's probably easier to just buy a new one with a larger bore. But if you want one ported and polished, these guys have a reasonable price and they have a solid reputation (you may have heard of them):Lingenfelter Performance. Good luck! :D

Bore, what an idiot!!!!! :withstupid: I meant port!!!!! I have the tools to port the the throttle body myself, does anyone think it's a good idea, or should i fork over the 100 bucks for one from LPE???????? If i go at it my self, fo i port the whole thing, front of butterfly and rear?

Bore, what an idiot!!!!! :withstupid:  I meant port!!!!!  I have the tools to port the the throttle body myself, does anyone think it's a good idea, or should i fork over the 100 bucks for one from LPE????????  If i go at it my self, fo i port the whole thing, front of butterfly and rear?

Bubba, port only in front of the butterfly. There is a 3mm ridge that needs to be removed then the whole inlet smoothed and shaped. I have the whole process posted here..

http://groups.msn.com/AdvancedProducts/gen...455586339716708

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

I have seen posts that say not to remove the ridge.  I think it was big tex

Evan, I've done 9 of these now, including my own and Bill's, and have not had any issues or problems at all.

You're welcome Bubba, just be carefull with the grinder, go slow and easy!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Interested in doing another.  I had mixed feelings about it.  Do you smooth out the blade any????

Evan, I haven't done anything to the blade or shaft, I feel there is nothing to gain there. I am in the process right now of setting up a porting service. I just bought some TB's to have as cores so i can do a core swap and have no down time. I am having Lyndon Wester flow test one before and after on his new flow bench and will report the CFM increases. Probably another month before I get it all set-up. I still need to get a beadblast cabinet so I can clean the TB cores before I port them. Stay tuned!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Interested in doing another.  I had mixed feelings about it.   Do you smooth out the blade any????

Evan, I haven't done anything to the blade or shaft, I feel there is nothing to gain there. I am in the process right now of setting up a porting service. I just bought some TB's to have as cores so i can do a core swap and have no down time. I am having Lyndon Wester flow test one before and after on his new flow bench and will report the CFM increases. Probably another month before I get it all set-up. I still need to get a beadblast cabinet so I can clean the TB cores before I port them. Stay tuned!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

I would be interested in one too! i would for sure buy one.

what kind of gains can i expect and will it kill my gas mileage?

:thumbs:

I didn't feel any increase in power, but you wouldn't feel anything less than 10 HP anyway. Of course the more the engine is modified and the more free flowing the exhaust is the higher the gains will be. My guess... 2-5 HP, probably 2x that with mods like cam and exhaust. I'm really curious what the CFM gain will be on the flow bench. I saw no change in fuel economy, nor should there be any.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Lingenfelter performance say's that a port job is just as good as a new after market piece at a fraction of the cost...$100 compared to $400! Or you could port yourself...i did mine today for about 15 bucks.

:cheers:

How about aftermarket new? 

You think guys would jump all over this........

Does FAST or anyone else have one for trucks yet?

BBK 80MM is due out in 3/21/05......

bbk_throttle_body_lt1.jpg

Jeff, BBK does have one for the LS1, but the one pictured is for the LT1.

The only trouble with the BBK is it's 85MM I think, but the hole in the intake that it bolts to is only about 60MM. So unless your changing to a FAST manifold or boring the stock one, there won't be much gain.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Archived