Throttle Body Bore

RacerJJ

Oh, yeah that is for an LT-1, that the only picture they had for all the TB's......My bad...

I need to do something, I wonder what the CFM is on the LPE ported TB's compaired to stock?

I sent an e-mail to Comp/FAST to see when they would come out with a TB that works with our trucks......

We'll see what comes back.... :fingersx:

well, it looks real nice, but like you said earlier, i can't really feel anything on the butt meter. i may take it to the track this saturday to see if there are any gains. only problem is i have a couple of more mods that i will be testing too, so i won't really know what is helping me...too many variables!!!!! thanks again for the directions, really helped.

:cheers:

Butch - the new drive by wire TBs are different than yours. They have a different internal shape. Thats not a big deal, but the PCM is programmed to idle and cruise properly by knowing exactly how much air will pass by the blade at different angles. When you make a sizeable change to the port design, it greatly effects the idle and driving characteristics of the truck.

Butch - the new drive by wire TBs are different than yours.  They have a different internal shape.  Thats not a big deal, but the PCM is programmed to idle and cruise properly by knowing exactly how much air will pass by the blade at different angles.  When you make a sizeable change to the port design, it greatly effects the idle and driving characteristics of the truck.

Tex, Mine is DBW also, but yes the 03 and up are different. I did Bill's 03 new style and one other and had no problems. The PCM compensates for all changes. I just got in 6 new style DBW throttle bodies and 4 cable operated. Still need some 01-02 DBW cores then I'll have a pretty good inventory of cores.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Maybe your porting isn't as aggressive as mine was. I ported my cable fed TB without issue. I had more tuning issues than I cared for with my DBW TB. Notice how much more air can pass by without that inner lip on the ported TB.

TB1b.JPG

Butch - the new drive by wire TBs are different than yours.  They have a different internal shape.  Thats not a big deal, but the PCM is programmed to idle and cruise properly by knowing exactly how much air will pass by the blade at different angles.  When you make a sizeable change to the port design, it greatly effects the idle and driving characteristics of the truck.

Tex, Mine is DBW also, but yes the 03 and up are different. I did Bill's 03 new style and one other and had no problems. The PCM compensates for all changes. I just got in 6 new style DBW throttle bodies and 4 cable operated. Still need some 01-02 DBW cores then I'll have a pretty good inventory of cores.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Tex, I removed all the restrictions like you did. Smooth as a baby's bottom! Bubba just did his on his 03 and Lingerfelter sells them ported without any issues. My friends Bob, (04 SS) and Bill (03 Sierra Denali) both had no problems either. The others I ported were 01-02 DBW, plus a couple of cable 99-02.

I wonder why you had problems? If there are issues I want to try and figure out why so I don't run into the problem. What tune do you use?

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

You mean you don't have any "cruise control" effect with the ported TBs? Thats where the truck wants to drive by itself without any pedal. How about slow falling to idle from higher rpms? When you stab the throttle, the rpms stick up higher, then move down to idle much slower than normal? Those type things are what happened to my truck running my ported TB. I guess its possible my higher idle setting from my cam could have enhanced the effect more than a stock truck.

I tune with LS1 Edit.

Shoot a pic or two of a ported TB you've done. I'd like to compare to mine. I'll post some more pics later showing some other views.

Large image links:

http://z71.net/TB1.jpg

http://z71.net/TB2.jpg

Looks like I removed more material than you did. I tried to stay away from the area where the blade would seal up. But that isn't as important with the DBW models since there isn't an IAT, they never really close up all the way.

Thanks for the pics Butch.

I've got another TB. I'll port it a little less than the last one.

Richard

You mean you don't have any "cruise control" effect with the ported TBs?  Thats where the truck wants to drive by itself without any pedal.  How about slow falling to idle from higher rpms?  When you stab the throttle, the rpms stick up higher, then move down to idle much slower than normal?  Those type things are what happened to my truck running my ported TB.  I guess its possible my higher idle setting from my cam could have enhanced the effect more than a stock truck.

I thought this cruuise control effect was a comoon thing with a cam ???

After an encouraging e-mail from Richard I went to my speed shop and they ported/polished out my stock TB, it looks great........ :thumbs:

I still need to work on the intake......That might have to wait until the snow melts, and after I pay for a new tranny and figure out what power adder to install.....

I did hear back from FAST.....I asked them if they had a 90 MM TB and Intake for our trucks.......

Jeff, I wish we had a setup that worked with the trucks as well as the cars. Unfortunately we don’t, I think that you can modify your engine brackets to accommodate a car style intake and throttle body but I’m not for sure. I would keep checking around and see what you can find. We will be more than happy to help you with this project if you need good deal on some parts.

If any more questions let me know.

Thanks,

Hadley@ FAST

Archived