FLP L5 and PI 10.5" TC go in tomorrow

TurbochargedBerserker

i'd recomend adding a bit more spark advance in the range less than that of your stall. if your stall is say 2800, i'd recomend adding some advance in around 2600 and lower under low vacuum conditions. as for the lockup, under low load conditions try to keep the converter locked in as much as possible. locking it in just after the 1-2 shift is going to give you a bit more performance although it will add a bit more stress on the 3-4 clutches.

I always thought for aftermarket converters, you don't really want to lock them at WOT. Not unless the TCC can handle it and/or, you're well over the rated stall speed.

Stock, our converters are set to lock at 75mph, even at WOT. I set mine to never lock at WOT.

I think all other settings are just personal preference.

During normal driving, I don't lock my stocker until 45mph... the lock is just about seamless.

the 10.5 inch PI converter with the tripple disc TCC, the clutch engagement is strong enough to slip the belt on apply. boosted applications work better under increased load which makes the earlier tcc apply a good thing for them. on an N/A application, it's better to have it not lock until much higher speeds. locking a yank in early means early death, but the PI should be able to handle it without issue. driving it around with the tcc locked as much as possible is only in effort to reduce heat caused by the higher stall when not locked in.

What does FLP recommend?  ;)

Haven't heard back yet. I'll post what Chuck says.

James-- Its being installed at All Pro Perfomance in Longwood (on 17-92 just south of 434). Chuck (diff'rnt one) also did my turbo.

Dang, I pass by there every day and never noticed it. :crazy: I'll keep them in mind in case I decide to get something done that I don't want to tackle in my driveway with a jack and jackstands. Thanks! :D

I talked to Chuck today. He recommended that for best performance, start locking the TCC at the bottom of third, and then step back to top of second, middle, and bottom of second to see what the truck likes best. He also said that for normal driving, my current tune (which is no lock in 2nd, stock + 5mph for 3rd and fourth) would be fine.

All pro had trouble getting the starter out today, so I won't get it back until tomorrow.

Archived