Not really a build but finishing up a project

someotherguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapped out the stockers today for some Centerline Stingray III's with new Toyo Proxes ST II in the stock size of 275/55/20 vs. the crazy wide (and dry rotted) Goodyears. Wheels are used but nice, could use a quickie repolish. Center caps will have to be installed later as I need to polish them and get new o-rings; they've got new, but incorrect ones installed and are too fat to force into place.

Also took a moment to black out the drums and the rotor edges, and installed some Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads up front.

06SB_051s.jpg

06SB_052s.jpg

Richard

None taken! I've never been a big fan of the OEM wheels. It's kind of a personal thing of mine for most wheels that cover the lugs with a plastic cap, even if it is chromed; the large outline around the cap breaks the flow of the design in my opinion and looks too much like an aftermarket wheel with a multi-lug pattern that they cover up with a cap. About the only wheels I've ever cared for with a concealed lug design were the old Centerlines with the "flying saucer" cap held on by two allen head bolts. Those have their own problems though with not centering perfectly unless you go through some trial-and-error on install, and they can be noisy too unless you grind a tiny bit off the ends of the bolts.

Richard

Looks even better with the center caps installed :D ... reflection causes them to lose depth in the picture but they are the typical domed Centerline cap with logo; rounds out the shape of the wheel nicely.

06SB_053s.jpg

Ya know, originally the plan was to swap those black/smoked 22" Dub Ballers from the ISS over to the SS. She digs 'em. But, she's also super paranoid about putting a 22 into a pothole or a curb, so a cheapish used set of Centerline 20's with stock size tires seemed like a better bet. It kind of clinched the deal when Centerline royally screwed me on the brand new 22's I ordered for my truck, held onto my money for over 3 months and gave me nothing but lame excuses. I literally just got my refund yesterday after ordering the wheels on 7/20/2016.

Richard

• 2 years later...

So this past Tuesday my wife took me to the E.R. and so she parked the SS in the E.R. patient parking right against the building, a few spaces from the ambulance entry door.  While we were in there getting tests run, some dirtbag tried to steal the truck.  After security checked their cameras, they saw the guy bust out the passenger window, open the door, then got scared and ran down the row several cars and broke into/stole a VW Jetta.  This was all broad daylight in a busy area.  If he hadn't run off dunno if he would have been able to get past the alarm before someone caught him, but it sure is amazing to me that the dude was able to get away with any of this bullshit.

Bright side is no real damage to the truck other than broken glass.  Downside is I'm in the hospital and can't do anything about it until I get out, so I have her take the truck home and put it in the garage so it's safe, leave my 300 outside, and then she's driving my black SS instead.  Couple days later here's the situation:

06SB_054s.jpg

Hit the boneyard (Williams Auto Salvage) for a used window at a great price ($32.48 with tax, paid for over the phone and they called when it was ready to pick up...) it's even got "OK" tint still on it, just a few scratches in the tint.  I'll have it redone later but it's fine for now.  Bit of a learning curve for me to put window glass in a GMT800; I can do it on a GMT400 practically in my sleep but these are a very different setup.  A bunch of glass vacuumed up, some cuss words later, but no bleeding...

06SB_055s.jpg

All buttoned up with no "spare parts" leftover. :)

06SB_056s.jpg

Sucks but my wife definitely saw the silver lining...they didn't get the truck.

Richard

That’s ****ed up.. hope the A-hole gets caught and gets an ass kicking for stealing other ppl sh*t.... about a week ago I have suspicions that my SS wing wanted to get stolen off mine since I had just done washing and detailing it someone left all their fingerprints on the handle and wing ?

Edited by matslp488 (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, matslp488 said:

That’s ****ed up.. hope the A-hole gets caught and gets an ass kicking for stealing other ppl sh*t.... about a week ago I have suspicions that my SS wing wanted to get stolen off mine since I had just done washing and detailing it someone left all their fingerprints on the handle and wing ?

They were probably just gonna grab your whole tailgate but got scared off.  Look up what it would cost you to replace the tailgate, wing, lower cladding strip, emblems, and paint.. if you have the Intimidator wing it's a bunch more and nearly impossible to find the OEM one as well as the OEM tailgate Intimidator script (it's narrower/smaller than the door script just by a little.)

I've got gate keeper protectors on both trucks because tailgates are a high theft item.. at least around Houston.

Richard