What cam for me?

Blue_SS

I have almost all bolt on mods now for my truck and i am looking into a cam now! But i have no idea what to get or look at! I am completely illiterate to cams!!! im not a big time dragger, i just want some performance without trouble and engine building!! i mainly just cruise around but i do drag friends and other folks around town quite often when challenged!! yet to lose yet in the 1/4!! but there are folks moddin there mustangs around here just to beat me and i would like to prolong that as much as possible!!

I have the comp XR265HR grind, 212/218, .522/.529, 114*LSA.

It's a really nice smooth cam and seems to make nice power. I don't have my computer tuned yet (saving my pennies for HPT), I only get a random misfire code every once and a while.

My suggestion would be a similar grind.... only bigger.

I wish I had gone bigger. :banghead:

Good luck on your choice. :thumbs:

My brother is getting one for is SS. Its a Comp Cam and its 218/222 567/574 on 113+3 so its a decent size cam. He will be running a 3000 stall with this along with longtubes. I guess it doesnt help you out too much since i cant really tell you how the cam acts though. :cool:

Basically anything in the 206 to 220 range on the intake, and 212 to 220 on the exhaust, as a real general recommendation. There are probably 20 cams that fall into that area.

Lower durations are great for torque and strong stock-like powerbands. There isn't much need to rev mine much over 6,000rpm.

Larger cams like 220/220 generally like to be revved, and provide a lot of power up top with the expense of power way down low.

Lift - the more you can get, generally the better. I don't think you don't really need lift much over .6". Lower lifts in the low .500 range will let your valvesprings last a long long time. Higher lifts will require swaps.

LSA - The tigher (110, more common 112) will provide the lobes with more overlap, which should give more peak power, with the expense of a slightly less-broad powerband. Idle is usually a bit rougher.

Wider LSA's (114 and up) generally cut down the peak power a bit, provide a cleaner idle and wider powerband.

Most smaller cams in these ranges are ground with 4* advance. I think mine has 5*. Advance shifts the entire powerband 'downwards' in RPM's.

What Marc said.

I'd match the lift to the maximum flow lift of your head.

E.g. my new heads flow the most at .600 so my cam is a .600/.600. If you cam lifts more that your heads can handle, you could kill your performance.

Oh - and try to match the cam to your plans. For instance if you plan on going forced induction down the road, don't get a cam with less LSA than 114 (unless you can figure out overlap and trade duration for lsa)

Archived