Mysterious coolant leak wtf??

matslp488

Yesterday after getting home from work and letting the truck sit for a while I noticed a small puddle of coolant under my truck... I gave it a quick check but couldn’t find anything obvious.. only thing found was that it leaks down onto between engine and where the tranny meet so I checked both hoses that go into the firewall for the heat condenser but those seem ok...any other suggestions?? Thanks! 05 SS 

I'd ask over on PT for more traffic and eyes on your question.  I can't think of what might be leaking at the rear of a 6.0 except possibly intake gaskets?  You had proper antifreeze concentration in the system so no potential for issues with that shit weather we just had?

Richard

Thanks guys for the suggestions... I have checked and checked I everything points to be the intake gaskets... I haven’t driven the truck in a while to prevent any major damage.. it’s just parked waiting for me to start working on it... truck is filled with coolant so the cold weather wasn’t a factor.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Found my problem... 1 side of the coolant crossover pipe on the rear side of the engine was leaking from the o-ring gasket... I bought the replacement felpro gaskets that have 4 and replaced both rear ones and front ones since I was there already... pretty simple and cheap fix... trucks been good ever since... hopefully someone finds this useful in the future 👍🏼

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:03 PM, matslp488 said:

Found my problem... 1 side of the coolant crossover pipe on the rear side of the engine was leaking from the o-ring gasket... I bought the replacement felpro gaskets that have 4 and replaced both rear ones and front ones since I was there already... pretty simple and cheap fix... trucks been good ever since... hopefully someone finds this useful in the future 👍🏼

Glad you found it. It's easy for people to overlook these crossover pipes. I chased this for a bit too. Never leaked fluid to the point it would show up, but I could catch the scent of hot coolant from time to time