Swapping out perfectly good 6.0 with LS3 7.0 Stroker

meistro57

Hi everyone. I have a 2004 Silverado SS. It's pretty much stock, except for the trans and suspension. I've been preparing it for some torque.

Yesterday I placed an order for a BluePrint Engines Pro Series Chevy LS 427 Stroker PSLS4271CT.

They recommend a converter with 2200+ stall. I'm not sure what diameter I should go with. 

Has anyone in here had experience with anything similar like what I'm doing? 

Are you still running the 4L65E?  No matter what you've done with it - next up, 4L80E swap.  Go ahead and get you that transfer case adapter on order and shop for a trans.  Your 4L65E isn't strong behind the stock LQ9; it's not gonna live behind 625hp/565tq.

Richard

Yes I still have the 4L65E. It's been rebuilt and I know that's my weakest link. I told the guy to make it handle more abuse but I just made the decision few weeks ago to get this engine. If I would have shown him what I'm putting in there, things probably would have went differently.  I really really would rather have a T56 AWD. I'll look into that after I break the one I have. I still need to replace the converter though to help maximize the added pleasure.   

I should just start a build thread about it. I have much work to do. The parts pile I have collected is getting large. I drive it daily when the weather doesn't permit playing with my other toys. I'll probably replace the exhaust this weekend then wait until the weather gets better to allow the unforseen down time swapping the engine.

I agree with someotherguy.  The transmission won't last.  I am the original owner of my 03 with stock engine with the Radix supercharger.  I am on my third rebuild on 150k miles. First time the bands wore out, second time a sun gear exploded, third time I managed to snap the input shaft.  Next time I am going to bite the bullet and do the 4L80E swap, assuming we are still allowed to buy gas for our cars.   The second failure occurred when I was far from home and I had to hope the local transmission shop was good. I guess they were as it is kinda hard to predict a input shaft snapping.

InputShaft-IMG_0481.jpg

• 2 months later...

So far so good. Its running with a base, "break-in" tune with stock LQ9 injectors & throttle body using adapter plate. The specs from Blueprint engines for injectors and TB that were used on the dyno for this engine show 

• 87mm LT5 DBW Throttle Body
  • 42# injectors and returnless fuel rail

When I bring the truck to the tuner with awd dyno (after 500 mile breakin), I'm going to swap injectors & throttle body to match what they used on factory dyno. The injectors are easy enough to get. The throttle body has me a bit confused. Is there a gen 3 t body in 87mm or larger? I can get a 4 bolt but it has 6 wires and not 8 like I have now. 

On 7/11/2022 at 4:58 PM, meistro57 said:

So far so good. Its running with a base, "break-in" tune with stock LQ9 injectors & throttle body using adapter plate. The specs from Blueprint engines for injectors and TB that were used on the dyno for this engine show 

• 87mm LT5 DBW Throttle Body
  • 42# injectors and returnless fuel rail

When I bring the truck to the tuner with awd dyno (after 500 mile breakin), I'm going to swap injectors & throttle body to match what they used on factory dyno. The injectors are easy enough to get. The throttle body has me a bit confused. Is there a gen 3 t body in 87mm or larger? I can get a 4 bolt but it has 6 wires and not 8 like I have now. 

Don't personally know but recommend you ask over on performancetrucks dot net instead, as this place has been totally taken over by spammers.  They even are spamming each other at this point.  No responses from admins (nonexistent I suspect.)

Richard

• 1 month later...

Yep, just like you guys said lol. I got it back finally from tuner on Friday and I broke it Tuesday. 

Today I ordered 4L80 advertised as 1200hp capable. I got the adapter mentioned here..  performancetrucks

Is it worth spending the $$ for the harness adapter? 

How much different is the tune for the 4l80 compared to 4l60? Am I gonna need to get it back to the tuner?

Should I ditch the in the rad trans cooling and get aftermarket since the existing lines might be too short? 

Do the conversion crossmembers work  as expected? Better off modifying my existing one?

What else am I in for that I'm not thinking about?

On 7/19/2022 at 10:17 AM, meistro57 said:

That's what I ended up doing. The throttle body has a 6 pin flat connector and xlink has 6 pin square. From what I can tell I can just replace the connector on the xlink to the flat connector. They both have the same signals I believe. 

Yeah I ended up ordering a 90mm with the square type plug. Plugged it all up and worked perfect.

8727D7AE-73DD-46AE-82CB-F50A470941F5.jpe

Looking back I realize that I’m going to need new flex plate. 
Do I need a spacer too? Or is that only when using older flat flex plate? I was going to buy an AcDelco 4l80e LS 6bolt flex. The 4l80 is going to make it friendly to make them tc bolts. Better than through starter spot. Stupid 4l60. They shouldn’t even exist in a truck at all.