What is flat black paint?(think Rat Rods)

When people have painted their cars flat black, is it really a paint that is flat black or is it just black primer?

I'm pretty sure in a base coat/clear coat application the base coat is semi flat.

Someone with some painting experience(not spary can), educate me please. :cheers:

House of color makes the flat clear coat that makes black paint look like primer only will hold up to the weather. I am going to do this on my t-bucket.

Now you need the old school rims in flat red or the kidney rims and halibrands are now out in 20's. I want the halibrands they look pretty old school.

Most likely one of us up here in the snow-belt. ;)

I've got to put my big ugly mud flaps back on. We got a little ice the other day, and the roads are covered in rocks/sand/salt. All you hear when you drive, is the crap pinging off the side and bottom of the truck.

If you want "old school", how about some Moon Equipped and the woodpecker smoking the cigar decals? I think the woodpecker was a cam outfit.

:)

The woodpecker - I always thought it was "Thrush" the glasspack guys?

Yeah, here we go: http://www.angelfire.com/oh/bocook/Auto/images2/Thrush.JPG

Check out CLAYSMITHCAMS.COM. They call him "Mr Horsepower". See their clothing link. They got the woodpecker on everything. If Thrush had him first, they didn't protect the image. [reg. trademark?}

According to the Clay Smith website, Clay Smith started out as a cam grinder back in the 30's. Clay Smith Engineering was founded in the forties. The woodpecker with cigar has been their trademark all along. I noticed the Dynomax/Thrush website shows their woodpecker with no cigar. Maybe they ripped off Clay Smith? Sorry to bore you guys with all this cigar sh*t. :sick:

This might be considered a lot redneck but... my first tattoo is of 'Mr. Horsepower'

Since I've always loved horsepower and cars, I thought it was only appropriate.

If anyone saw the episode of rides where they built a rat rod, one of the guys had 'Mr. Horsepower' tattoed on his neck. To each their own, I keep mine hidden though.... :thumbs:

Archived