Smoked by

SSoCal

I agree. Call your buddy up and line up with him again. Leave your tranny in Drive and just stand on the gas. Traction, gearing and power should all be to your advantage. You should waste him. :D

If not, take a look under his hood first and then yours... :tear:

The dakota in question sounds like a gen III which is 97-03 body style. Engine options that could be fast enough to even compare to your SS are the 4.7, 5.2 and 5.9. All of which have the potential of being in the 15's stock(possibly 14's for Reg Cab 5.9's) depending on the configuration of the cab and transmission type.

The 5.7 hemi is not available in any dakota. New 4th gen daks(which look like ugly durango')s only have the 4.7 in terms of v8 options.

Was it a reg cab, club cab, or quad cab?? Motor options and obvious weight advatages some into play

The 5.9 only came in R/T's and quad cabs.........

Being a rental I would assume it was a 4.7 or 5.2 and an auto which are usually slower then the 5-spd's with a capable occupant. And it also sounds like a club cab from your description.

What has your truck run the 1/4 mile btw ??

Truckin Magazine lists the 4.7L Dakota 1/4 mile 17.81 @ 75.92 (the same issue lists the quad cab SRT-10  1/4 mile 15.29 @ 92.06).  Just an FYI.

My buddy ran his regular cab 4.7 5 speed Dakota at Mission, dead stock, and though he had a terrible 1-2 shift he got a 15.5 1/4 mile.

I watched him.

He is JEFFFSTER, on the Dakota R/T and Xtreme board.

His first post says that he put into firsat the stop sign. I think he was trying to shift it. That might have been his down fall.

:withstupid: It is one reason why our tranny"s are "AUTOMATIC". Before my PCMFORLESS Tunning I used to put my selector in 3rd. so it wouldn't shift into overdrive!. And smoked many dakotas/RAMS. The only one that came real close to me was a 99 R/T SC. But I still won in the 1/8 mile. His pick of track was an 1/8 mile. Now that I have my tunning I don't even bother to switch to 3rd. our truck with factory tunning and torque management the shifts are horrible 1st to 2nd feels like we hit a brick wall for a second.

Archived