Attn: Zippy re: spam bots

someotherguy

Question

(would've sent this in PM but it says you can't receive PM's)

Hey, good to see someone from the moderators team active on the forum after what seems like a total absence for a while.

Anything we can do about the spam bot takeover?  It looks like some of it has been squashed, but a few sections are still overrun with it.  For a while there the only new posts or replies anywhere were all spam, which makes the forum look dead to the world.

I had reported several in the past but nothing was ever done so I just quit reporting.

Thanks,

Richard

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

On 2/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, sk_josh said:

Forum has been upgraded and spam is being dealt with.  We are looking for members who wish to join the moderation team. If this is something you are interested in, let me know and ill send you an application.

Man, that's great news.  I just visited on the off chance something had changed and WOW what an improvement.  No more passing by just to see the entire forum list with nothing but spam bot crap.  Thank you so much for cleaning it up.  I know the member base is falling off as the SS platform ages but there are still plenty of them out there and this site has by far been the best resource for SS-specific info I've found.

Richard

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, sk_josh said:

Forum has been upgraded and spam is being dealt with.  We are looking for members who wish to join the moderation team. If this is something you are interested in, let me know and ill send you an application.

By the way I noticed your status update requesting spam be reported, I'm happy to, but please do cruise by the off topic/general section and it's a whole freakin' list of spam.  Not just replies to old posts but a bunch of more recent posts that are 100% spam

Richard

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, someotherguy said:

By the way I noticed your status update requesting spam be reported, I'm happy to, but please do cruise by the off topic/general section and it's a whole freakin' list of spam.  Not just replies to old posts but a bunch of more recent posts that are 100% spam

Richard

Thanks, I just deleted a bunch more. There was so much of it!! It is hard to get it all in one go. I'll keep looking around for more, but thank you for reporting what you see as well. 

• Like 1

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Silverado_George said:

Glad to see all of the spam gone man, I left for a while for personal reasons and I come back to the site and it was full of spam, I'm like what happened?? 

Will be getting in touch with you this week regarding moderator application