truck took a poop...

what happened to my truck had nothing to do with the zippy shift kit. what it did have to do with is a part that i forgot to upgrade...but then again, how do we upgrade the 65E drum and shaft assembly? certainly this area is a week link. not only shooting 150 shot down the 1/4, but apperantly when making right hand turns from stop signs under normal acceleration...

the jury is out as to whether or not there was any pre-break issues. matt can testify to the shifts as he was up in mpls the week prior. so for now the truck goes back to stock, with respect to the tranny - until i get a chance to get out to MI again to get the full zippy tranny treatement...

anyone that does have the zipshift kit i would not worry. there are very few people that drive their trucks as hard as i do...and it was probably more related to some stupid little thing that we will never know...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, i can't say the zippy kit was the cause, but as he said he drives it hard which is why he bought it for the most part, to enjoy it. commonly a harder shifting transmission will be more likely to break something over a stock shifting one, but had he left it all stock he'd still have been stuck with torque management and more than likely killed the stock clutches/band by now. it may have simply been a part failure which isn't that unlikely. on the other hand when it comes to the trans you are always in the red zone if you drive it hard. you'll either smoke the clutches or break a hard part. sometimes you even just get a simple part that would have failed anyway. it happens...eventually something has to give..... :cry::D

lol, i can't say the zippy kit was the cause, but as he said he drives it hard which is why he bought it for the most part, to enjoy it. commonly a harder shifting transmission will be more likely to break something over a stock shifting one, but had he left it all stock he'd still have been stuck with torque management and more than likely killed the stock clutches/band by now. it may have simply been a part failure which isn't that unlikely. on the other hand when it comes to the trans you are always in the red zone if you drive it hard. you'll either smoke the clutches or break a hard part. sometimes you even just get a simple part that would have failed anyway. it happens...eventually something has to give..... :cry:  :D

:crackup: That sounded like the "Zippy for President" speach....."I didn't have intimate relations with that tranny...." :crackup:

He's right though, a hard driven tranny is a ticking time bomb, and after hauling them hoodlums around, she gave up the ghost.

lol, i can't say the zippy kit was the cause, but as he said he drives it hard which is why he bought it for the most part, to enjoy it. commonly a harder shifting transmission will be more likely to break something over a stock shifting one, but had he left it all stock he'd still have been stuck with torque management and more than likely killed the stock clutches/band by now. it may have simply been a part failure which isn't that unlikely. on the other hand when it comes to the trans you are always in the red zone if you drive it hard. you'll either smoke the clutches or break a hard part. sometimes you even just get a simple part that would have failed anyway. it happens...eventually something has to give..... :cry:  :D

:crackup: That sounded like the "Zippy for President" speach....."I didn't have intimate relations with that tranny...." :crackup:

He's right though, a hard driven tranny is a ticking time bomb, and after hauling them hoodlums around, she gave up the ghost.

who you calling hoodlum??? you know i am not that far away i can take a short drive and put my krylon to use. :crackup:

My zippy kit has been in a little over 5k miles and when I dropped the pan 2 weeks ago there wasn't so much as a hint of metallic parts in the fluid... everything looked good. :thumbs:

I have to admit that the neck-snapping 'zippy' shifts used to make me worry about my tranny, but after seeing that theres no sign of bad wear or hint of breaking yet I don't worry anymore. I'd be willing to bet that Ryans trans would have given out sooner or later regardless of mods. Hard driving is hard driving... trans mods or not eventually its gonna catch up with ya.

Glad to hear you're not getting pinched for the repairs Ryan. Good luck getting back on the road brother! :cheers:

Well on the same sort of topic I recently had some concerns with the trany still completly stock had the neutral shifting from first to second. I found Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina and they told me about the greatest thing I have ever heard a dealer say! " Inhancing the performance of your truck is ok we will still warranty it" So I asked them what that ment and he kinda went over the basics headders, muffler, intake the basic aftermarket stuff minus the nitrous. :nono: So I said once my trans is fixed and I install the shift kit will that void my warranty if I were to have anymore problems? They told me absolutly not we will still cover your trans even though you have modified it! :thumbs:

So the truck goes in tomarrow for stock repairs then in goes the zippy shift kit!

Sorry to kind of Hijack the thread, but are you saying that the torque managment actually kills our tranny? I have always heard that using a shift kit will allow you to get rid of torque managment, but that having all the tq managment(without the shift kit) was still more safe, and the transmission would last longer. Please elaborate a bit more on this.

:crackup: hahahaha... "hoodlums" :jester:

I did not mean to explicitly implicate the zippy shift. Zippy said it better - "commonly a harder shifting transmission will be more likely to break something over a stock shifting one."

Matt - what color krylon?

Jason, I don't think you would like the "flame job" Matt would give you.

:P

Sorry to kind of Hijack the thread, but are you saying that the torque managment actually kills our tranny? I have always heard that using a shift kit will allow you to get rid of torque managment, but that having all the tq managment(without the shift kit) was still more safe, and the transmission would last longer. Please elaborate a bit more on this.

adding the shift kit allows you to remove the torque management because if you've done it right there will be no clutch slipage issue's. on the other hand you're adding more torque to the hard parts of the trans so there it's a give and take. they generally tend to hold up longer.

There is an available upgrade to the 65E drum and input shaft. Same one that FLP and other companies use. It is just beefed up around the collar of the drum where the shaft passes through. I think it still sucks, though. Still waiting for someone to make that a billet piece. Then the breakage would shift to another part. That even looks like the weakest part when you look at them spread all out.

Shift kits and tq mgt do not blend. My truck will actually heel in the shifts with tq mgt in with the shift kit. The guy who built my tranny said that the PCM says to do one thing that the shift kit doesn't allow - makes for breaking sh*t. Sounded reasonable to me. Some tq mgt may be okay, but I would definitely get a lot of it removed soon after a shift kit install.

Archived