What's the best brand of fuel to use with the SS

SSThunder

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hate to burst everyones bubble...but you NEVER know what your getting no matter where you buy. The reason being, if there is a shortage of fuel from a certain producer...that company will purchase the needed fuel on the open market from another supplier usually whoever is the most competative in price.

All company's have there own special additives, but the gas is just gas... only law requirements are a minimum octane...sometimes you are actually getting a higher octane when your only paying for the base octane...

I run whatever gas is cheapest in town....and I work for SHELL OIL...! :nono:

what I do at work is produce gasoline, diesel, jet, propane, etc etc...octane blending and the such...high octane blends are GREAT!! hehe :jester:

I run whatever gas is cheapest in town....and I work for SHELL OIL...!  :nono:

Maybe you can explain this for me:

I have had 2 bad tanks of gas from the same local shell station. My dad filled his vette up there last week and... SURPRISE... another bad tank of gas. Same symptoms all three times. Severe Knocking and lagging performance... filled up at the local mobil the very next time and ... SURPRISE... the problems disappear! :wtf:

I have never had another bad tank of gas w/ the exception of a tank I bought half way between CA and Vegas in the middle of the desert from some generic brand gas station.

Is it possible that this particular station is doing something to their supply? 1 time I could say bad luck... but 3 seems a little unreasonable. :dunno:

I run whatever gas is cheapest in town....and I work for SHELL OIL...!  :nono:

Maybe you can explain this for me:

I have had 2 bad tanks of gas from the same local shell station. My dad filled his vette up there last week and... SURPRISE... another bad tank of gas. Same symptoms all three times. Severe Knocking and lagging performance... filled up at the local mobil the very next time and ... SURPRISE... the problems disappear! :wtf:

I have never had another bad tank of gas w/ the exception of a tank I bought half way between CA and Vegas in the middle of the desert from some generic brand gas station.

Is it possible that this particular station is doing something to their supply? 1 time I could say bad luck... but 3 seems a little unreasonable. :dunno:

Well there are a couple possible scenarios here...

one may be that the owner of that particular shell is buying sub-grade(no name) gasoline to run through his shell pumps to bring the SHELL premium$$$$...

or since the additives are blended at fuel blending in the trucks prior to being delivered the same knucklehead could be f'n up the additives blend but this is unlikely since you seem to be having a ongoing problem here...

try out a differant shell station... I dont buy it cause its too expensive, remember "all gas is created equal" until the marketing company adds its special additives to make it theres!! :ughdance:

The only QC done on this is a minimum octane... sorry i cant be more help! :wtf:

Well there are a couple possible scenarios here...

one may be that the owner of that particular shell is buying sub-grade(no name) gasoline to run through his shell pumps to bring the SHELL premium$$$$...

or since the additives are blended at fuel blending in the trucks prior to being delivered the same knucklehead could be f'n up the additives blend but this is unlikely since you seem to be having a ongoing problem here...

try out a differant shell station... I dont buy it cause its too expensive, remember "all gas is created equal" until the marketing company adds its special additives to make it theres!!  :ughdance:

The only QC done on this is a minimum octane... sorry i cant be more help!  :wtf:

I figured its more than likely just this particular station... but we don't have too many shell stations in the area so I have no basis for comparison.

BTW: My company has provided alot of A/V equipment & installation to Shell Oil... wonder if I've ever done anything for your location?

Mobil, then Shell or Amoco (now BP) - wish we had Chevron Stations in SE Mich.

I agree that I think it's often the station and their distribution that affect quality sometimes, I think one of the lateest issues among the manufacturers is detergent amount. Amoco and Chevron have always had some form of detergent (or other solvent like Techron in Cheveron), and Mobil 93 has some also.

I ran across an interesting tidbit the other day, and of course got sucked into a few hours of surfing - it was about the "Top Tier Fuels" program developed jointly by BMW, GM, Honda, and Toyota. Evidently it's largely a voluntary "standard" requiring at least 2x as much detergent as is typical now. The primary drivability problem is intake deposits. . . .

Here are a few links, if anyone is interested in following up:

GM Site

This next one is a presentation:

Needs Acrobat or Acrobat Reader

Finally a pretty weenie website listing those companies meeting the std:

Top Tier Gas Website

Disclaimer: Not passing any judgement, just including the info for everybody to make their own conclusions it interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a guy have his 2500 Dodge towedin the other day and it would not start. The reason was becasue the half the tank was filled with water and it was frozen.

He got his fuel at a Wal-Mart. I usually support Wal-Mart since I am from Bentonville, But I guess ever place can get problems from time to time.

JOSH

My wife put regular fuel in my truck once and it did not like it one bit, I had to put a couple cans of octane boost in just to quiet it down.

JOSH

I had a guy have his 2500 Dodge towedin the other day and it would not start. The reason was becasue the half the tank was filled with water and it was frozen.

He got his fuel at a Wal-Mart. I usually support Wal-Mart since I am from Bentonville, But I guess ever place can get problems from time to time.

JOSH

My wife put regular fuel in my truck once and it did not like it one bit, I had to put a couple cans of octane boost in just to quiet it down.

JOSH

I wouldn't suggest buying gas from Kroger either. I can tell a difference when I use to buy their high octane gas. I buy only BP now since hearing through this thread about Shell gas. Not too many chevron stations around me. Gas prices are slowly going down. BP cost me $1.79 for high octane near I-64. Was just $1.69 the other day but at least it's not over $2.00 :banghead: Freaking oil companies :mad: I remember when you could get gas for under a buck back in the 90's. :jester:

Archived