Smoked Tailights

Just wondering who of you have done this? I was also wondering have you had any run-ins with the law? It states that you have to have a visible red reflector,(smoking causes them to not be seen as well) i just think it looks great on a black car .I have done this many times before and they look great in the end so any input is appreciated!

I have never really liked them, but that is just me....I am always wanting to make my lights BRIGHTER (like LED's and stuff), so that is just not up my alley (and with the cops around here, that is just a reason for them to pull you over)!

I have actually inquired about that myself. There is a guy around here that does that, he shows up and takes your tailights and third brake light out and does whatever he does to them to smoke em'. There are actually three different shades of black that he does too from light all the way to like a limo smoke.I've seen a black Denali C3 which is supposed to be the equal to the SS and it looked bad @$$! He did leave the white alone for reverse. I plan on getting mine done soon.

I have no idea about the law in California though.

Late- Alex

yeah its a pretty easy do it your self mod. If you have worked with paint you can get them to look like they came that way stock.I just went to the local hobby people store and picked up 3 cans of smoke and a bunch of clear coat from pep boys.

I have done them for alot of members on chevytruckworld . I have heard of paint shops charging 100+ for them. I'll see if i can get the whole process photographed so i could post a how to on them.I also had them on my 00 tahoe , but i didnt do them to dark but never had any probelms so ill hope for the best.

here are some before and after pics(the first pic has the amber blinker smoked red)

88083.jpg

629778_11_full.jpg

yeah its a pretty easy do it your self mod. If you have worked with paint you can get them to look like they came that way stock.I just went to the local hobby people store and picked up 3 cans of smoke and a bunch of clear coat from pep boys.

I have done them for alot of members on chevytruckworld . I have heard of paint shops charging 100+ for them. I'll see if i can get the whole process photographed so i could post a how to on them.I also had them on my 00 tahoe , but i didnt do them to dark but never had any probelms so ill hope for the best.

here are some before and after pics(the first pic has the amber blinker smoked red)

88083.jpg

629778_11_full.jpg

I have wanted to do this to my stop/brake lenses as well; if you get the time to do a show-and-tell it would be very appreciated. Is is just that simple - spray multiple layers of the right kind of paint and then finish with clear gloss? What kind of materials are required?

Mr. P. :)

the more you do it ,the easier it gets. I have messed up one time out of about 10 and i think it was due to bad paint but i will never know,i fixed them easily.I will do this in a couple days i just got my rear quarter glass's replaced so it has that stupid tape.

Archived