Maxed Out the Speedo

schmidty77

I maxed out the speedometer the other morning. I was doing the speed limit in the fast lane behind some traffic when a older model F-150 goes bombing by me and proceeds to make two psycho lane changes cutting off two people. As soon as traffic cleared I calmly moved into the center lane and back into the fast lane to get in front of the last few cars. The ford was ahead by about 20 lengths at this time. At 80mph he was still pulling away. At 90mph I was pacing him. At 100 mph I started gaining. At 120+ mph I went blowing by him. I in no way consider this a kill considering it was just an old beater work truck. But you should have seen the look on his face when I went flying by. And for the skeptics out there..... Yes I have bypassed the speed governor. Does everybody elses hood rattle at these speeds? It had me totally freaked out! :eek:

No innocent drivers were passed during this moment of speed junkie induced behavior.

I've topped out dozens and dozens of vehicles, and noticed the speedos do different things on many of them.

I've had the needle just keep wrapping until it stops.

I've had the needle climb until about 110mph, then start bouncing off a pin at the top end of the speedo, large jumps, then smaller and smaller, until it stops jumping.

The weirdest was a 1989 Chev pickup, it has a circular band of an 85kph speedo, I wrapped the speedo and kept accelerating. After the truck had sped up considerably the band all of the sudden emerged at the starting point again, I got it up to 15kph on it's second trip around.

I've topped out dozens and dozens of vehicles, and noticed the speedos do different things on many of them.

I've had the needle just keep wrapping until it stops.

I've had the needle climb until about 110mph, then start bouncing off a pin at the top end of the speedo, large jumps, then smaller and smaller, until it stops jumping.

The weirdest was a 1989 Chev pickup, it has a circular band of an 85kph speedo, I wrapped the speedo and kept accelerating. After the truck had sped up considerably the band all of the sudden emerged at the starting point again, I got it up to 15kph on it's second trip around.

ive seen that before on my buddies old 2500 GMC pickup, it wrapped around and went back to 0. You could tell the cop that my speeedometer only told me I was going 15!

What kind of mods do you have? Just last weekend I had a fellow member of this site completely remove the speed limiter and rearrange some shift points on my truck w/ HP Tuners. We ran my truck as hard as it would go for long stretches and the best I could do was 108mph and some change? The engine didn't shut down, but it didn't have enough to keep gaining speed... today I had a really long shot out the 210 freeway early in the morning before there was any traffic and the best I could do was a hair past 111mph... what am I doing wrong? :confused:

I don't understand those "speed limiters" at all?

I posted quite a bit on a Chevy Xtreme site, and a guy with a modded regular cab stripper 4.7 Dakota called me out when I asked a few guys to race my chick's 1989 Shelby Lancer with an intercooled 2.2 turbo.

I had a 285 pound buddy in the passenger seat, and we let 'er rip down a large 2 lane street, a highway more or less..

In my mirror I saw his truck seem like it slammed on the brakes, at about 110mph, I kept going til about 125mph.

I shut it down, turned around, and met up with him. I asked him why he got out of it.

He told me he kept in it, but his truck "shut down" at 187kph. A speed limiter. I had never heard of it before.

He told me a 5.9 Dakota had a way of "removing" the speed limiter, but not the 4.7 Dakota. (this was a couple years ago)

I've hit 120 a number of times on mine with no problem. I just have a PCMforless tune and K+N filter. It acts like it want to continue climbing but the wind "buffeting" is pretty serious.

I had a full size Hemi quad cab try to play with me on the turnpike last week. It was fun to see when his speed limiter kicked in. From 80 on I would pull him pretty well, then in the hi 90's I would walk away from him. The funny thing was he just kept coming back for more. Three times I shut him down and he wanted it again. I finally stayed into it for a while and didn't see him again.

What kind of mods do you have? Just last weekend I had a fellow member of this site completely remove the speed limiter and rearrange some shift points on my truck w/ HP Tuners. We ran my truck as hard as it would go for long stretches and the best I could do was 108mph and some change? The engine didn't shut down, but it didn't have enough to keep gaining speed... today I had a really long shot out the 210 freeway early in the morning before there was any traffic and the best I could do was a hair past 111mph... what am I doing wrong? :confused:

We drive Black SS's. :thumbs::thumbs:

Are you going up hill or something? :dunno:

something in the programming sounds off.

Archived