trans slip 2-3 with ati procharger

I just got off the phone with the people who tuned my ecu about my trans slipping 2-3 shift.

Symptom...before shift, redlines shuts fuel off then shifts under hard acceleration.

correction from my tune company: will need to rebuild clutch pack with kevlar bands billet servos and modification to valve body . I have 0% torque management and 20% increased line pressure. he told me that a shift kit would not be the best way to go for my truck being supercharger.

does anyone have any info for a good trans shop in maryland?

wester in canada....recommend by tbyrne!! A shift kit will firm shifts, but with my custom tune the trans will try to pullback when it feels a firm shift. I have talked to 2 people who have said the same thing.....no shift kit just modify the valve body and beef up the clutchpack, with kevlar bands and billet servo's

wester in canada....recommend by  tbyrne!!  A shift kit will firm shifts, but with my custom tune the trans will try to pullback when it feels a firm shift.  I have talked to 2 people who have said the same thing.....no shift kit just modify the valve body and beef up the clutchpack, with kevlar bands and billet servo's

Modifing the valve body, is a major part to a "shift kit." I think what Wester's is trying to say, is that in the long run, a built tranny is better. Darn near everyone, that re-builds a tranny, pro or novice, uses a shift kit.

I don't get it. Do you have a tranny problem, or not? It almsot sounds like your bouncing the rev limiter in the shift to me. Given your description, it's hard to tell. I've had the same symptons in my 1-2 shift, but was slapping the limiter.

What RPM is the 2-3 shift happening at? What is it set at?

it's impressive to me how many spend the money for a supercharger and accept that crappy stock shift (if that's what you want to call it, the tach more or less just drops rpm). a supercharger with a stock trans, bring chills.... :banghead::shakehead::puke:

Phoenix33759,

It makes sense that an upgraded clutch pack and bands are going to help; there is no way they can’t. As far as a shift kit there is also no way I can see that it wouldn't help, it has to help engage into gear quicker. I have been dealing with Byran and he has helped me greatly diagnose my shifting problem for quite some time. He had it originally set at 5600 or so RPM and to shift a little quicker than stock. I originally had no problem for quite some time until the last few months it got pretty bad. He re-tuned it to shift at a lower RPM (5500) and quicker yet again to alleviate the pinging off the rev limiter between shifts. This helped but hardly at all. Again had it re-tuned to 5400 and instant shift time, which is where I am set right now, and it still pings off the rev limiter from 1-2 and 2-3.

Next week I am getting a zippy kit put in with superior shift kit, billet servos, boost valve, and metal accumulator piston. So I can give you guys an update on if this gets rid of my shifting problems. For my sake I hope it does would rather not have to rip and tear to get new bands and pak in.

Question for Zip or you other tranny guys:

With the shift kit and etc. listed above I am getting installed, is it ideal to have shift time set to be instant? What other tuning changes might need to be done to dial her in?

Two things govern shifting: rpm and mph. Both act as shifting 'guards' and both have to be surpassed in order for the truck to shift. Just dropping the rpm is not the solution, as your story illustrates. Do you know what mph your WOT shifts are set to?

My truck is set to shift at 6000 rpm and does not ping the limiter.

I have the MPH at 39, 75 and 110, which correlates to 5300 RPM in 1st and 2nd, and 4900 in 3rd.

So since it is set at 5400 and instant and the MPH is set as above, then it has to be a tranny issue and not a tune issue. Seems obvious to me the tranny simply can't shift even though it is told to, needs more guts. Maybe I am wrong, just throwing information right now until I find out what helps fix it. :confused:

I sent you an e-mail about that zip man. I went through all the directions and know exactly what you mean about turning the force motor up.

When I put the kit in do you recommend the heavy duty application (dual springs in some case) or the normal application. Is "Heavy duty" simply harder shifts.

Sorry to get the thread off track.

Yeah, but our problem is the tranny can't handle the power adders we have. The procharger's giving us 60% more juice when that sucker shifts. Tune alone isn't cutting it anymore for us. I'm sure if I did this ahead of time I would have bandaided the tranny longer. Not sure though. :banghead:

I think you guys are missing my points....I am not trying to diag my trans, I know the trans is slipping in 2-3 shift. it is not shiffting so it hits the revlimiter which shuts the fuel off the power is reduced then it shifts....very sloppy.

I am curious what options are out there for a trans mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to post on the other thread also, but just to let everyone know what I did to try to alleviate the problem. I ordered a full shift kit, metal accumulator, boost valve, and servo upgrade from Zippy. I helped put it in last thursday, and have about 150 miles on the truck at this point. Great products, and it really shifts nice, but the 2-3 slip is still there.

At this point it absolutely has to be the clutch plates!! I have had Bryan give me multiple tunes decreasing shift time, and lowering shift RPM to try and get rid of the "slip" and it has come down to the last thing I haven't fixed, the internals. SO whenever I get a 500-1000 bucks I'll tear it apart and put the new clutch pack and band in becuase everything else has been covered.......

I wish the shift kit and servo's would have fixed my problem but it simply didn't.

And by the way, my plastic accumulator piston was absolutely in perfect condition. The plastic nub's were still all in tact and weren't worn, and no sign of cracking.

I hope this narrows down you're problem because I am sure you are having the same troubles I am. You got to re-build it there is no other answer. :uhoh:

Archived