fiberglss fenders

vette dude

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put the fender back on the truck and step away from the toolbox!!!!!

Then Sell the SS and go buy a Civic!!! There are many sources for Carbon fiber pieces for these already.

ok, will do.... :rolleyes:

I already said they will not be made from carbon fiber, they will be made of kevlar, so why dont u look into reading, it helps. :yellow_loser:

I have started to build the fiberglass mold, it is damn cold outside, so it is taking forever to dry. i have only made a test patch, where the BSM goes.

I am just using car wak as a release agent, and i am poretty confident it will work, Whenever i did fiberglass work on my pop's 72 corvette the parts that where painted would not let the fiberglass stick, but i did not want to take the chance of having the stuff stick, so i aplied wax, and hopefully it will not. I think the fiberglass method will work. i got a ton of info fromt this site:

The fenders suport both our hood hinge, and the spring, so i ma going to either sanwich some nuts in the fender to accept the hinge and the sprring, or i am going to buiold some brackets, i am still unsure of this. :seeya:

:confused: I'm still not understanding how you plan to make this work...

are you going to mold the inner and outer parts of the fenders seperate and then put them together?

Or are you going to try and 'skin' the fender to get a mold or just do it as one big peice?

Plaster is a good idea, but w/ a celephane layer you're going to have alot of issues w/ air pockets and imperfections... wonder if a lubricant or non-stick spray would serve the purpose better? :dunno:

Either way... I think you're absolutely NUTS for trying this, but you've got my support  :thumbs:

BTW: KEEP THOSE MOLDS AFTER YOUR DONE! It'd suck to get in an accident after spending all this time on it and have no way to replace the parts.

i am only molding the outer part of the fender for the time beiing, i am going to try and see if i can get away with this, but i am unsure.

i decided to just use a release agent AKA wax b/ew the fender and the fiberglass. Being that i am testing it where the BSM goes, i am not to woried. I'll know more of how this is going to work in a few hours when the glass drys.. :ughdance:

I have has much sucess building molds out of Platinum based silicon, using a master part as basis for the casting. I have never tackled anything as big as a hood or fender, but have done quite a few smaller pieces. Nice thing about silicon molds is that there is not a lot that sticks to them, and you can do reverse draft angles, and they are easy to strip. You would need a mighty large vacuum chamber to make the mold though.

He could use a technique called vacuum bagging. Just need some big sheets of plastic, seal the edges and suck the air out. I use this technique on my model airplane wings.

Have you priced carbon fiber lately? The stuff has been getting expensive lately!!! On my latest set of wings, I had to cut back to one layer, and the still cost me $100 for the carbon fiber!

He could use a technique called vacuum bagging.  Just need some big sheets of plastic, seal the edges and suck the air out.  I use this technique on my model airplane wings. 

Have you priced carbon fiber lately?  The stuff has been getting expensive lately!!!  On my latest set of wings, I had to cut back to one layer, and the still cost me $100 for the carbon fiber!

yeah, the price is anothger reason i will be going with kevlar for the final product, it is something in the order of 8-15 dollars a yard, versus Carbon fibers advertised 35.0 dollars a yard. I have thought about vacum bagaing it, but the fiberglass seems to be laying down quite well. I dont know if i will have the same lick with the kevlar however, from what i have heard, it is not the easiest stuff to work with. do you have a link to a cheap vacum?

I have has much sucess building molds out of Platinum based silicon, using a master part as basis for the casting. I have never tackled anything as big as a hood or fender, but have done quite a few smaller pieces. Nice thing about silicon molds is that there is not a lot that sticks to them, and you can do reverse draft angles, and they are easy to strip. You would need a mighty large vacuum chamber to make the mold though.

where do you get this platnum based silicon from? is it something tyou have to order, or can you get it locally? If you have a link, that would help.

He could use a technique called vacuum bagging.  Just need some big sheets of plastic, seal the edges and suck the air out.  I use this technique on my model airplane wings. 

Have you priced carbon fiber lately?  The stuff has been getting expensive lately!!!  On my latest set of wings, I had to cut back to one layer, and the still cost me $100 for the carbon fiber!

I didn't know they made a Radix for model airplanes :jester::jester::crackup:

yes, this has been fun, the bottom of the fender that is usually covered by the BSM is sorta screwed up now, i dunno how, but it is, it is not like it matewrs though, as it is usually covered by the BSM. I will try to post pics of the mo;ld later, but the mold for the outer skin is complete, so all i have to do now is buuild the brackets, and the actual fender... I am going to ortder some kevlar and maybee some vacumbaging stuff tomorow when i can actually talk to a real person. :seeya:

Archived