REAL Exhaust Question.... Need FACTS!!

WELEPRO

Ok...I'm currently awaiting arrival of my SS. I've been reading this board for months now, and it's time to make an exhaust decision. Is there an exhaust system, muffler, cat-back, or custom made...that ACTUALLY makes power? Not seat of the pants testing...but real proven power? Dyno results?

Please share some insight....it will be usefull for many members. Who's got a great setup, that makes power...and doesn't sound like a freight train?

HELP!!

Ok...I'm currently awaiting arrival of my SS. I've been reading this board for months now, and it's time to make an exhaust decision. Is there an exhaust system, muffler, cat-back, or custom made...that ACTUALLY makes power? Not seat of the pants testing...but real proven power? Dyno results?

Please share some insight....it will be usefull for many members. Who's got a great setup, that makes power...and doesn't sound like a freight train?

HELP!!

The answer to that question is loaded with "IF's"

If you plan on keeping the vehicle stock and only adding an exhaust then you can get a good idea. If you plan on adding an intake to the equation, then the "IF'S" begin. Then you add something else and the "IF's" start collecting more momentum. If someone does post they will need to give you every mod that they have and then their result. then you would have to copy it exactly and even then there are no guarantee's most people do not dyno one item at a time instead they pile on parts and never know what did what. some parts even hurting power. :banghead:

ADVICE: do your research and place one part on at a time and be open minded enough to know that it is possible to purchase a part and LOSE horsepower because of the part or the combination. good luck on your journey. ;)

:withstupid:

This truck is always going to be unique in that it has a LQ9 and AWD... this doesn't allow for much dyno testing. You COULD rely on the test done on LQ4's w/ RWD, but that obviously isn't going to be the most accurate info for our application. GENERALLY SPEAKING: almost all aftermarket exhast systems are going to flow better than stock... the HP gains from one to the other would be minimal anyways... I say just find one that meets your sound preference and think of performance as an added bonus :thumbs:

i read this originally thinking there should be a real question in here. this is worse than most of the exhaust questions. the question is being asked about a truck that is awd and has constantly had posts about not being able to dyno the truck. unless someone has dyno'd multiple systems, there isn't an answer to this. most guys don't run the truck stock then bolt the exhaust on just to go back out again. if they did, the weather wouldn't likely be the same. flowmaster has been the most common exhaust, but is it the way to go, who know's. corsa is about the most expensive, but there isn't anything to prove that it's the best either. just pick a system that is know to have good flow numbers that has the sound and look you like. that's about all you can ask for.

Here is the info I can give you. I took my truck to the track stock, had a complete exhaust done (ASM headders, high flow cats, X pipe, dual 40 series flowmasters, side exit all in stainless) and returned to the track the weekend after. The weather conditions were similar and weight was similar. I saw .3-.4 gains after 5 runs compared to the weekend before (stock).

I did a post on this like 1.5 years ago. Maybe it is in the archives somewhere. I agree with all on this one though, it is going to be hard to find hard-fast numbers on gains experienced without some kind of bias. :(

When I went from the stock exhaust to true duals with 2.5" pipe and Flo-Pro mufflers I had also added a tune so I couldn't say what the difference was. Not much if any. Maybe some loss on the low end and picked up some on the high end...maybe.

Then I removed the tailpipes at the mufflers and added dumps. I also had a 3" X-pipe cut in between the cats and the mufflers. Went back to the track and had picked up 2 tenths and 1.5mph with the X and dumps.

Archived